Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still having housebreaking issues with Morrg&ike.they are 2 now, it doesnt matter how long they are out to potty they are gonna come in and either pee or poop. i think they hold it till come in. but i have noticed they are more worried about playing outside then pottying.do they need more palying outside time?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
well if they are just going outside to play thats definatly the problem. See you have to show them the difference between a trip outside to relieve themselves and a trip outside to play. I'd start off by taking them out one at a time on a leash and just walking them around the yard until they go. No playing, minimal talking. just stand there. when they go give LOTS of praise etc. etc. Also associating a word with going is always good, we say do your business and my pup usually squats right a way and pees. I'm not 100 percent yet either, my main issue is him not barking at the door just sitting there and HOPING someone see's him. I would also try the bell idea if you can. But i think that would work best after you get the do your business part down. Attach a bell to the door and when your going on peeing trips ring the bell and they'll associate that bell with going to the bathroom and will hopefully begin to ring them, themselves. good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our guy is still a pup (5 months) but we take him out and ask him to do his business. If he does, I then take him to the front yard where he likes to play - that is his reward.

If I take him out and he doesn't go within a few minutes, he goes back inside. I'm trying to teach him that going outside = play time outside.

Also when going outside I also distinguish what we're going out for - outside (which is to potty), walk, or to play. Not sure if it helps but hey, I'll try anything!

We do still have accidents around the house, when I catch him in the act, I take him outside to finish - but no play time.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I have no advice, as my Maggie is 10 months old and still far from being potty trained. She does exactly what you describe your two doing, so I know how frustration it is. Just don't give up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.