Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 7 year old lemon beagle has been getting hotspots this year. They are pretty bad and I've taken her to the vet 4 times now to get antibiotics, cefpodoxim. I know they itch her and she's on apoquel as of this year. She takes thyrotabs and her thyroid is normal. I've bathed her in a special shampoo 1-2 times a week and switched her food to Fresh Pet. I'm at a loss as to why they keep coming back. I live in SC. She doesn't stay outside but long enough to go to the bathroom and drinks filtered water. Has anyone gone through this? Has anything helped? I'm open to trying anything at this point.

· Super Moderator
5,400 Posts
Awww, poor little one. Only thing i can think of is too many baths. Oliver gets about 2 baths per year, spring and fall. Could be drying out her skin and removing natural oils.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
Sounds like youre doing the right things too. I agree skip the baths for awhile. I got my dog Cytopoint injections 2-3xs a year for the itching. I also feed Freshpet...only beef version. If you feed chicken that might be a cause.. Which variety do you feed?
I would also add a 1/2 tsp of Organic Coconut oil in 2-3 meals per week.
Also ask the Vet for a round of Prednisone to help calm things down
Lastly what flea tick treatment do you use?

· Registered
27 Posts
Hi, my 7 year old lemon beagle has been getting hotspots this year. They are pretty bad and I've taken her to the vet 4 times now to get antibiotics, cefpodoxim. I know they itch her and she's on apoquel as of this year. She takes thyrotabs and her thyroid is normal. I've bathed her in a special shampoo 1-2 times a week and switched her food to Fresh Pet. I'm at a loss as to why they keep coming back. I live in SC. She doesn't stay outside but long enough to go to the bathroom and drinks filtered water. Has anyone gone through this? Has anything helped? I'm open to trying anything at this point.
This year my beagle too has a lot going on on his belly. I think it is more of a contact dermatitis. I have a lot of outdoor plants and he likes to forage and stomp through them. One plant has rough leaves and I think he scratched his belly going through them. They bother me more than him. He doesn't seem to scratch at them or that they appear itchy. I put baby powder on them, and he likes that. He also has a spot on his under chest and I put a little Vap O Rub on it. These are things I did to myself when I had a mystery sore on the nape of my neck. I didn't choose to take him to the Vet since they do not seem to bother him and are not weepy.I no longer let him run through the plants and it seems like the spots are going away on their own. When they first appeared, I put some Canine Remedy on them that I bought at Frogworks. You can google that and look at their products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts