Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! Maggie gave me a great beagle Mom's present today: she greedily ate 1/2 cup of dry Innova's Evo dog food for lunch! I know, I know ... it doesn't seem like a big deal but even little steps are big these days. I've been getting her Innova treats for a while from a local distributor and have been talking with him about Maggie's diet. A raw food diet is recommended for her health issues but I honestly don't have the energy to do all the related prep. The distributor suggested that I try the Evo as it is the dry food equivalent to a raw food diet -- high protein, low carb, no grains. He very kindly gave me 8 sample pouches this weekend -- I hated buying a regular bag only to find out that Maggie wouldn't eat it. I am going to try mixing the new food into her chicken/rice tonight but hand fed her some for lunch to make sure she liked it. Nice not to have to worry about nasty food recall products, either!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Hooray, this is great news!! :happyhappy: You're right, what a wonderful Mother's Day present Maggie gave you--hope it will be a gift that keeps on giving, and she'll continue to get better and stronger! Happy Mother's Day!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go Maggie! Jersey gets Innova food, as did Amber before her. She's not on the Evo formula, although I have considered it. I think Innova is a very good food and I hope that Maggie continues to eat it and do well!

·
Registered
439 Posts
:bounce: :bounce:

yeah maggie! good job maggie.
im glad shes on a better diet. it makes a world of difference good the way of a whole food diet.
be careful on the high protein diets for the less active dogs. its like a high carb diet to us less active people.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
:angel:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maggie thanks you all for your cheers! I mixed in some of the dry food with her chicken/rice tonight and she cleaned the bowl. :grr: Maggie sees the syringe headed towards her and clamps her jaws. Tonight I put it on a spoon for her to lick -- she actually likes the taste if she gives it a chance but she ended up with brown goo all over her face and I had it all over my hands. Think "poo in a tube"! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for checking, K & G -- we are definitely on a roller coaster and I expect that is just the way it will be for a while. The evening went fine and then ... Maggie was up all night, panting and pacing. And guess who was up with her! I did give her 1/2 a valium at midnight but it didn't do anything. I really didn't know if I should give her any more drugs so opted not to -- I thought panting was from Cushings. She fell asleep at 5:30 a.m. and, because I had no choice, I got ready for work. She woke up at 7 but barely lifted her head and showed no interest in food. I hated leaving her ... Called the vet and he asked me to bring her in at 2 (arrived home to a living room full of diarrhea -- yuck!). When the vet was checking her belly, Maggie squirmed and yelped. She also has lost almost a pound since last week. For whatever reason, her intestines are just not doing their job. She is back on Reglan and Flagyl -- vet said we have to get the diarrhea under control in order to get some nutrients into her system. He did say that I can give her valium and acepromazine together the next time she has a similar event to try and get more comfortable. Maggie has perked up tonight -- ate a good dinner. Had to write out a med schedule to keep everything straight! (Sorry to be so long-winded ...)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Judy ... what dedication you are showing to Miss Maggie .....I sure hope that you get this all squared away really soon.

You both must be exhausted. Sammy and I send love and kisses to you both !!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
OH no! I came on to check Miss Mags progress....I'm so sad to hear how your night went Judy.
Perhaps by now, you're enjoying a much needed good night's sleep /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :heart:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Judy, so sorry you have so many ups and downs! I hope things will settle down soon and Maggie will feel better. I feel for you.

Hugs, kisses and tummy rubs to Maggie from Daisy and me. Prayers for you, Judy, and of course for Maggie. :angel:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, sorry to join this so late. Poor Maggie and poor you. Hope things improve again soon. Thinking of you.
Angela and the pack

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry to hear you guys are in a valley instead of a peak. Poor girl. I hope you guys can get her issues under control so she can get some nutrients soon.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hi Judy, Sorry to hear she is having such a tough time with her food. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and hoping for a good day today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts