Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, despite being raised by a beag...(Goober)! He has been a bit unpredictable! He has attacked Jehtro twice as he has been getting worse since Goobers death & I will not give him the chance for a third attack! I dare not leave them alone together & I cannot put Jethro in daycare when I am away forever! Even our vet agreed that it is extremely rare for an adult dog to attack a puppy & even more unlikely for it to happen with the hound breeds! Homer was an extreme sad case as he was one of 8 pups & mum abandoned in a Post Falls horse pasture for the coyotes! He has lived the good life for over 6 yrs...But, I hope that the person that adopted Shadow the abandoned dog that was dumped on our company property will adopt him as that person has elder dogs & 20 acres for him to explore! (It is still very hard for me to keep a dry eye when I think of Goober), & the thought of having to euthanize a dog in his prime is not what I need after the tough times I have endured this year!!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Gosh Red, I'm so sorry to hear that Homer is not adjusting to your new little guy. I know you will do what's right for both of them, but I really hope that this is just a small adjustment period he's going through and that things will settle down soon. If not, it sounds like the person that adopted Shadow would be ideal for him. Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Despite the experience we have with beags... mix-breeds can be a wild-card! I have never lost a dog & I swore to myself that every dog I adopted would die of old age... but, I could not foresee a dog that would not nurture a puppy!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm sorry you are having to make this tough decision. We know you will do what is best for all involved.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my past...I passed myself off as a tough-guy! But I am a softie when discussing beags! GOOBER IS OUR NEW STANDARD When we compare new ones! Rufus is the elder one now @ age 12 & I hope that he will live longer than Goober did as the loss of him might be rougher on Pop than Goobers death was for me!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear NR. You are not having a very good year. Could it be just jealousy with Homer? What if you crate Jethro when you are not there? Older dogs do go for young ones, our last Beagle, Spotty, attacked her own pups when they came to visit. It would have probably been different if you had taken a female beagle. Maybe things will calm down once you have Jethro neutered, Homer wont see him as such a rival. How do they get on with Rufus?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Eric, I'm so sorry you're going through this - and believe it or not, I DO undertand, probably better than anyone, as I had a beloved Lab/Shepherd who suddenly started attacking some of the beagles - after 3 ER visits - my vet and I discussed the problem at length. Honey had always been the sweetest dog ever - but when a 90# dog starts attacking a very sweet 30# dog, it just isn't acceptable. Trying to find her another home (she was 6 years old) with no other dogs seemed the only other option - but we were afraid she'd start attacking a human or children, and wound up making the very difficult decision to have her euthanized. I found out later that her mother had been pts for aggression as soon as her pups were weaned. It was a difficult choice - but I had to weigh the life of one dog against the lives of about 7 others. Honey will always live in my heart - and I'll always be sorry that I had to make that decision. I hope you can find a wonderful home for Homer.
We know you'll do the right thing for all concerned.
Big hugs,
Glenda 'n the pack

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am so sorry Red, I know how much you love your dogs. Even with kids there are some that just don't adjust to new things...puppies, homes, etc. I know that the love that you have for hounds and other dogs will help you do the right thing. AND you are so right, you don't need to think of putting down this dog after the year you have had.....know that we are here for you and support your decisions --- even the very tough ones. Hang in there, my friend.

Cathy J

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: I have never lost a dog & I swore to myself that every dog I adopted would die of old age... but, I could not foresee a dog that would not nurture a puppy!
Man, I’m so sorry. Having just let our Sparky go, I feel your pain. I know about promising yourself things too…
I promised Sparky no one would ever hit him (again?)… No mater what. (And there were times when I wanted to.) Now I can’t keep that promise.
I felt like we gave him everything… Then took it all back by returning him to the rescue. He was a loved member of our family right up until the day we kicked him out.
I never saw it coming. (Or just refused to see it.)

I wish I knew what to say. You can try everything in the book, but sometimes there comes a time when it just has to end. I’m sorry you have to make that decision. Hopefully, you'll find a happy home for him.
Things will get better. Enjoy Jethro's puppy hood. I'm sure you know what a special time that is.

After removing the cause of tension from our home, we have our Sadie back. At the ripe old age of three, she has found her inner puppy again. Something I thought was gone forever, and really missed.

Best wishes,
Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Homer is a good dog when protecting my property & family...but he acts like he wants to kill my best friends when they feed him when I leave for vacation! (IF I can not find a home for him I might have to euthanize him myself)! And that is the last thing I need, as I can kill a big game animal for food... but killing a beloved pet is something I am not prepared for! I have a tough enough time keeping a dry-eye whenever I think of Goober!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh NWR, I know what your going through! We had to have one of our German Shephards pts due to aggression. We usually tell people that we rehomed her, because people don't understand. But she was destroying our house and jumping fences and tried to bite a few people for no reason other than being pet? We also spent alot of money having her professionally trained. In the end and after alot of going back and forth we couldn't give her away knowing she bit, so after talking to our vet that was the best descision for her.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
NR Whatever happens, please dont do it yourself, get the vet to do it. Its different with someone elses pet but you would never stop seeing the vision of it if you shoot him. Has the vet checked Homer over for signs of illness? Our Spotty turned agressive to other dogs when she was about 11 or 12. Turned out she had cancer.
If Homer is fit then you will feel a lot better if you get him a good home. If you cant, then let the vet do the pts.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Oh Eric, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you feel. I still feel guilty about giving Kip back. Are you sure you've given it enough time? Maybe Homer just needs more time adjust to the loss of his mentor and the addition of Jethro. Dogs greive too. Maybe call in a trainer? Crate Jethro for a while, (when you're gone). I don't know, I'd try anything and everything. You've had Homer since he was a pup. Give him a chance.

I feel your pain. I miss Kip everyday. (And, I'm so glad she made the front of the calender again. Glad I had the camera close for that shot. It didn't last long.)

Think about it. Keep us posted. We all know you're a smarshmallow
you know we all care about you and Homer. Good luck.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Eric,

I can't begin to imagine what you're going through with this situation. However, if you do decide to euthanize Homer, please take him to a vet and don't do it yourself (and think about the fact that when a vet does it it's painless, but when you do it - they suffer, and I'm sure you love Homer and don't want him to be in pain).

Have you considered the possibility that there is a clash with little Jethro's personality? I know he is just a young puppy but it's a possibility (I've seen it happen with Westies).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: NORTHWEST ******* (IF I can not find a home for him I might have to euthanize him myself)!
Personally, I cannot believe that you'd actually consider shooting Homer!
To me, that's heartless!
If you had children, and one didn't get along with another, would you shoot him?

Wanting to prevent injury to Jethro is understandable, but you can find a better solution. As much as I love beagles, maybe you should consider returning Jethro. After all, Homer has been a loyal friend for 6 years.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
NWR,
I don't know what to say. I know Summer and Kali have their set too's. But for the most part its due to over zealous play or a food issue.

Our thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
NWR, is there a rescue that might take Homer? Even if it's a bit of a drive to the nearest rescue, I'd think it would be a better alternative to putting him down.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I know this must be difficult, but I tend to agree with Sandyj. Homer has been a loyal friend for 6 years, and I know it would be difficult but maybe Jethro needs to go back or be rehomed? I know that if Daisy had a problem with Max, I would return Max because she was there first. It wouldn't be easy, but I'd do what I needed to.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cassie had some major issues with Violet when we first got her. Cassie was always the only female and a big mommy's girl and she is a pig, so when Vi came, cute, cuddly, female, and also a pig, Cassie did not like it. There were a few times she attacked Vi, luckily, Cassie is very old and slow and so no damage was done. All together, there have been 6 major incidents. The first 2 were close together, then they spread apart and got longer apart each time. We've had Vi for 6 months almost and no fights for the past 2!

I really do think it takes time to work out the pack issues and jealousy. Also, is Homer fixed? That could make a difference in his behavior toward another unfixed male.

I hope you can find a solution that does NOT involve you putting Homer down (especially not yourself, I agree that is not the right solution). Obviously, Homer has been a good dog these past 6 years, please work to find him a home.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts