Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a little freaked because homer found a dead rat behind our shed today-carried it in his mouth right up to the door and dropped it on the mat for me.he was so proud of what he brought me but i'm a little concerned about the diseases rats have and am afraid he will get sick tho he seems fine(other than the fact that he is sulking because hubby threw away his most prized possesion)has anyone else's dog found a rat and got sick is it usually no big deal?

·
Registered
220 Posts
To be honest...I would be very concerned if I were you. Rats carry many diseases which can be transmitted to humans and dogs as well! The only advice I can give you is to see a vet ASAP. Just in case. You can never be too careful.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think one of the stuff the vaccinate for yearly is against all those yucky parasites. I would call the vet anyway, though. Just to be sure there's no need to worry...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't know about diseses, but as a teenager, my dog Barney used to put mice and birds on the back porch. We were just glad he never got a hold of the neighbors doxy and put it there. They didn't like each other very much.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think you are probably OK. Check with your vet though since you have doubts. Better safe than sorry. But just remember, Beagles eat their poop and don't get sick. They must have a pretty strong antibody thing going on inside of them.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Must be rat week. Ours rolled on a dead rat behind our shed last week. We aren't sure if our doggies killed the rat or not. We gave Sadie and Pooh a good bath because they stunk from rolling on it. I thought about calling our vet about them being around a dead rat and possibly having killed it but never did. Ours are both fine.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We've had several farm dogs and cats contract hantravirus from mice and rats, so that the vets in the area have advised us to watch for these little critter so we can get rid of the vermin before the dogs and cats do. I'd check with my vet for sure.

Cathy J
15 days till Casie arrives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts