Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone make their own food?

I have had my 5.5 month old puppy for 2 weeks now and she is a seriously picky eater.
I know she is holding out for human or cat food. She is contastantly jumping at the table and even ON the table trying to eat everything she can and I know she is only like this because she is very hungry.
My thoughts are going more towards making her homemade real food since that is what she really really wants.
We have not given her any human food intentionaly, but I do have very young children who naturally make a mess.

If anyone makes their own food what do you make for your dog?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've done some home cooking for Jersey, but just as a treat, not as her regular diet. I know this sounds cruel, but you may have to let Gabby go hungry a bit so that she learns that she's got to eat what is given to her. The more you keep switching what she's eating, the fussier she'll get. Jersey tried this when she was a puppy. I only gave her own food to her and no treats. She didn't want to eat it the first day, but she learned quickly that the food in her bowl was all she was going to get. Gabby won't let herself starve. She'll eat when she gets hungry. Put the food down, leave it for 30 minutes and if Gabby doesn't eat, pick it up. Put it back at dinnertime. Same thing, if she doesn't eat it in 30 minutes, pick it up. If that doesn't work, then try a new food. Oh, and she's not eating anything and everything because she's starving, she's eating anything and everything because she's a Beagle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.