Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goober still loves to chew on deer bones... but he
is now soo old... that he has nearly outlived his teeth!!! I was shocked to see that aside from his
canine incisors, that nearly all his molars are gone! (no wonder he recently lost interest in the
rawhide-chewies)! But, that did not stop him from
chewing on the bone of a shoulder roast from a
deer that we harvested! (Homer-the-Huge)loves to clean-up after his old mentor!!! I made a pot-
roast this weekend & Goober got to lick the
carving-plate after I had trimmed-off the gristle
& "fish-skin"/(membrane)off the prime cuts of meat! Goober is surely the first Beag that our
family has known to "outlive their teeth" despite
the fact that my family has "been owned by beags
for over 80 yrs"!!! Btw, Goober will easily reach 16 yrs old now thanks to the exercise he gets from
playing with "Homer-the-Huge"! :thumbup: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is so awesome that Goober still enjoys his "bones" - even with almost no teeth.
My "Little Lottie" is only 5 - but has lost at least 15 of her teeth - she's a rescue - she'd had one tooth pulled when I got her - and she came to me with major dental problems. The day after I picked her up at the airport my vet did emergency dental surgery and removed 7 broken and/or abcessed teeth. He also discovered that at some point her jaw had been broken - and he removed a dime sized chunk of dead, black bone from her jaw. Last summer she lost another 7 teeth to abcesses. Guess that just proves that EARLY nutrition and care is so important. She had been a "kennel dog" before I got her - she's now a spoiled beagle - but with a LOT of issues from her former life. It doesn't even slow her down though as far as eating. That's awesome that Goober is almost 16 and still going strong!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was shocked to see how Goobers teeth were worn-
down when compared to a much younger Nibblers
teeth! (I examined Rufus & Nibblers teeth this
past weekend to see if I needed to get Pop a bag
of canine "T/D"). Rufus is 12 yrs old, but is not
a "strong chewer" Nibbler, though...is a strong
chewer like Goober but @only 8 yrs old this spring
his molars are very healthy! (I did not realize...
just how worn Goobers teeth were until I compared
them)! But it would explain why he is not as
thourough with a bone as he used to be! But, that
is a "plus" for Homer as Goober can still strip
all the meat off a bone & lose interest in it so Homer can break it apart to eat the marrow. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts