Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winston nips at me constantly. and IT HURTS!. If he can't go for my hands, he bites at my feet and ankles, or grabs a hold of my pant leg (he's ripped a couple too) I keep telling myself that it's a puppy thing and he'll outgrow it, but it makes it hard to pet him, cuddle him, put on his harness, etc etc. He's never broken skin, but scratched us up a bit. The only time we can get some good pet/cuddle time is when he is close to or is asleep. I can't get anything to work to get him to stop or settle down. I've been desperate enough to spray bitter apple on my shoes, but it doesn't last long. (I sprayed bitter apple on a plant pot twice and he's never returned to it since)
He goes after me the most, but doesn't seem as bad with other family members.
He has several chew toys, which he does chew on.
Will this ever stop???

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I asked the same question when Maggie was a pup and as others assured me, it will stop. I learned to be consistent with telling her easy and no bite. The thing that finally helped me was a spray bottle with cold water. I sprayed it at her face and it only took a couple of times and I just had to move toward the bottle and she would quit. One of the things, I finally figured out was that the biting of me was worse when she was overtired kind of like a little kid that is tired and crabby. When I thought that was the issue, I put her in her crate and she would crash and sleep for a few hours. I also found that walking into another room for a few minutes and closing the door helped. If the biting started up when I came back I walked out again. Maggie didn't like me leaving and she learned I would leave if she bit me.
I know the biting hurts and there were days she brought me to tears of frustration but keep working on it. Things will improve.The time and effort you put in now will pay off in having a wonderful adult beagle companion.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Oh Winston does sound full of energy and mischief! My Daisy is about 3 yrs old and we just got her last year. She's doesn't do the nipping that Winston does persay, but she does get a little rough when she gets excited while she's playing. If she starts playing too roughly I basically put my hand on her firmly, but gently, and make her lie down on her back or side. I use a calm voice and just basically say enough. Once she calms down I let her up and then she either continues playing, most of the time not as roughly, just sits with me, or goes and wanders off to torment Rocky.

Just a quick question. When he nips or grabs your pant legs, etc. how you do respond? Do you ignore it, tell him no?

·
Registered
889 Posts
We've also used the water in a spray bottle and had some success as well

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Crazy DaisyOh Winston does sound full of energy and mischief!
NAILED IT!

I usually tell him NO! or OFF, going to another room (he usually lurks outside the door for me, waiting to pounce) Ignoring him, (It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt)Others in the house do the same, and we try to help each other out as sometimes the grip is so strong it takes another pair of hands to rip him off. We also try to offer something he's allowed to have.
We encourage him to socialize and anytime he meets someone new we warn them, but yet he has never nipped at someone new. (knock on wood)
I think I will invest in a spray bottle today, haven't tried that yet. Other than US he really hasn't tried to chew on things he shouldn't besides the odd shoe that someone didn't put away.

PS Still love him to bits, crazy kook that he is!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spray bottle is amazing!!!
I brought one home about 4PM and he hasn't nipped at me since supper. Just a few minutes ago he was chewing on the rocking chair rocker (so cute really, his first attempt at destruction) I sprayed him, he looked at me then went for my foot. He touched it with his mouth open then looked up at the water bottle and walked away!!
As I walked away, he jumped up to try grab the bottle!! I just aimed it at him and he went back to his toys!
I'm calling the bottle my bulldog because there are two bull dogs that live two doors down that scare the bejesus out of Winston everytime we walk past thier house. He hates going that way for a walk!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am also going to try the water spray as Oscar has a tendency to nibble on my hands and feet.
I also have the problem with walking Oscar past other dogs, he yelps like crazy and tries to climb my leg.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have to agree about the spray bottle. Charlee likes to bite at my hubby's hands in a lick,lick,lick,bite kind of thing. My spray bottle squeaks a few times before it sprays and that squeak is all Charlee has to hear and he stops. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Squirt bottles are wonderful tools for puppy training. If I remember correctly, Winston IS a puppy - puppies chew and nip and bite. As long as he's teething he is GOING to bite more. A firm no bite - and distracting with something that is all right to chew on (a bone, a chewey, a wet rag that has been frozen is often soothing to them). Consistency is the key - but he will eventually get the idea that it's NOT all right to bite people. I think my Angel was the worst puppy I've had about nipping, but she DID eventually learn that people are NOT chew toys.

Catrina, sounds like Oscar wants mommy to pick him up and carry him to safety
. Perhaps obedience trainig for him - where he is exposed to other dogs and learns that they're not all to be feared? I don't have that problem here, because my dogs are all in a pack - so they're accustomed to other dogs from the beginning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was told that biting is a normal part of puppy play and exploring the world and that if they stay in their litter long enough they learn when enough is enough through experience. We got Ella out of biting by emitting a loud and very high pitched OWWW! to shock her followed by ignoring her for a minute or so. She soon learnt that if she bit playtime would stop and now she is such a lady, so so gentle when you give her anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts