Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found him, or my friend found him at a dog show is Bismark, ND last weekend. He is a year old, he is full of energy, a little bundle of energy. He has a short rib cage to make it easy and he's a bit immature for a year old dog. But, the breeder is very well known for her wonderful dogs, and has wonderful pups and dogs. He lives about 350 miles away, but if we can find a dog show that she is going to be involved in closer she will bring him along and we can meet. I really want her to meet us, as she is attached to this little guy, and needs to know that we are good people and want nothing but to give this guy a loving home. He is potty trained, sort of, I am sure we will have to change schedules a little, and get to know his cues, but he is used to running with the other boys, so being a house dog, will be a little different. He is crate trained, so another crate, where will I put that?????
Now we just have to be sure that Cobi is on his best behavior and falls in love with his little bro....yeah, right!

Finally, we found him. I am a little nervous about bringing a new boy into the family. I am feeling a little like I am replacing Chipper, but know that I am not. It's still very hard to be without him....there isn't a day that goes by, that I don't think about him, and I know dh does the same. Our two legged boys know that we are dog people and really do want to have another one. But they asked the same question. I know, Iknow, we aren't replacing him, we are moving on. Yet, there is that tug at my heart. That, said, do you think we can teach him to come to a new name?

More later. She is sending me a picture, and I will attempt to have my scanner into submission enough to send it.

Thanks for all your encouragement...
Cathy/Cobi's mom

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
This sounds promising. Yes I think you can teach him a new name. People that adopt from our rescue change names all the time. The beagles seem to do fine. Also lots of our dogs come from shelters and the name they are called probably isn't even their real name. Good luck, I sure hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Fingers and paws crossed it works out!

And you can definitely change his name - we've done that with two of our three (we knew Moose's old name, but with Popcorn she was a stray so the rescue named her and that name was only used then for a couple of weeks) and they both learned to come (well, to the extent beagles EVER really come!) to their new names within a day or so.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is awesome, Cathy. And NO, you are not replacing Chipper - all our furkids that cross the rainbow bridge live on forever in our hearts. At least mine do. You're actually honoring Chipper's memory by getting another furkid.
Good luck my friend. We'll look forward to meeting your new baby.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
YAY! I'm so happy for you that you found your beagle-boy!

No, you aren't replacing Chipper, but I do understand how you feel. That's one of the reasons we wanted a female over a male after Roscoe passed. But in any case, Cobi does need companionship and this little guy will help with that and help heal your hearts. And you know Chip will always have his special place there.

The name change won't be a big deal, we did with Violet. Well, technically we kept the name the shelter gave her, but nobody knew what her real name was because she was a stray and she wasn't used to the name when we got her. It took us a few days of trying on different names and we came back to Violet. Then it took a few weeks for her to learn that was her name. A few times, we called her nicknames and that confused her until she learned Violet.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That is wonderful, Cathy!! I can't wait to see pics!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got pics today. OMG! He looks just like Chipper! I have to say that I shed a few tears as I went through them, but he is smaller than Chip, and dh thinks much less basset, of course, he's a beagle.

We are changing his name to INDY. Chipper was named for Chipper Jones, one of my oldest son's favorite baseball players (?); Cobi was name for a soccer player, Cobi Jones, and a couple of days ago, my youngest son, said he had the name Indiana???? I thought that's too long, but he said, no , mom, you know Indiana Jones...so we could call him Indy. Great! It fits and it will work, and it won't remind me of snickers candy bars everytime I call him.

We will pick him up after the 18th sometimes. But for now, we have so much to do for a new puppy.Thank you for all your help and encouragement....and information. You've been a godsend all of you.

Cathy
Cobi and Indy's mom

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We got pics today. OMG! He looks just like Chipper! I have to say that I shed a few tears as I went through them, but he is smaller than Chip, and dh thinks much less basset, of course, he's a beagle.

We are changing his name to INDY. Chipper was named for Chipper Jones, one of my oldest son's favorite baseball players (?); Cobi was name for a soccer player, Cobi Jones, and a couple of days ago, my youngest son, said he had the name Indiana???? I thought that's too long, but he said, no , mom, you know Indiana Jones...so we could call him Indy. Great! It fits and it will work, and it won't remind me of snickers candy bars everytime I call him.

We will pick him up after the 18th sometimes. But for now, we have so much to do for a new puppy.Thank you for all your help and encouragement....and information. You've been a godsend all of you.

Cathy
Cobi and Indy's mom

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so happy for you. Did you find a way to meet part way so you don't have such a long trip?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am definitely bummed! The gal that we are getting VAN/Indy from got a championship this weekend with one of her dogs, which I guess means she will not be around until September. WHICH means we will not be able to go and pick him up until then. :eek:(!!!!!!!

I am sick....

Cathy J

Patience is a virtue

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Indy/ aka Van is still not home with us. I am getting a little anxious, make that a lot. I want to just go get him, Every day, I have to tell myself to relax, he will be here soon enough. Does anyone know what dog show, or beagle show is in Colorado this week? That is where mom is and his human mom...why we can't go get him. Gosh, this is harder than when I had my two human kids.

Cathy

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Think of how awesome it will be once you do get him, though! I know how you must feel, worried, excited, anxious and impatient. i hope you get word soon that you can go get your Indy.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A week from today, 7 short days, Van/aka Indy will be in Aberdeen!
I am excited, nervous, anxious, scared, and worried.

Here's what I am thinking. I need to get medical information from the breeder about his shots,health in general, and maybe even the parents; if not just for the vet, for us too.

His parents have papers but he doesn't because he isn't show material...do I ask for papers of some kind?

We need to get him a crate, and then decide where that crate is going to go. WE have Cobi's near the front door, so he can still se the living room and hear the noises. He likes his private spaces and still goes there when live gets to much for him. Now do we put the crates together, or separate to give the boys their own rooms.

He has NEVER to my knowledge had a leash or collar on. I read with interest your collar answers, but right now, that's more than we can afford for a collar. So I am thinking maybe a harness would be best for him? What do you think? He will be tethered outside, as we don't have a fenced in yard. (we rent, so nothing I can do about that) The tether is short enough not to reach the sidewalk, and long enough to give them the idea that they are walking free. When we take them to the park, they get a 25 ft rope and can run.....ideas? suggestions?

He isn't neutered yet, but that will take place in September towards the end of the month. I want to give him some time to settle in, and Cobi, to settle in. He will have to stay the night, which we've never done; but that's okay.

Then there is Cobi....we had planned on my taking Cobi to the park and DH bringing Van/Indy to the park to meet, kind of off home territory. ANy first reactions I should know about? or think of? What about at home? I have visions of snarling, barking, etc., but then I tend to be dramatic.

AND what things do I need to know from the breeder. We aren't meeting her, a friend is picking him up for us from the AMana dog show....so we won't meet her until they come to Rapid City sometime for a show, or maybe ND. I am going to take pics of him and Cobi and the family...so she seems he's okay.

His first vet appt will be just to check him over and anything that needs up dating. Probably the day after we bring him home.
He is about 14 months old when we get him....a lot older than I wanted, but that's okay.

Well, for now that's all I can think of, if you think of things I haven't thought of, please share them with me. I so do want this to work.

Cathy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cathy-
Hey, I'm in Brookings, for school! Where is your breeder from? I've been trying to find someone I can talk to about dog showing, is this someone in our area who shows? Also, congrats on the new pup!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts