Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen Regal do this twice now - both times at my inlaws. I hand him a rawhide to keep him occupied and he spends about 20 or 30 minutes finding hiding places (and some of them not so good!).

He has had some issues with resrouce guarding in the past, but in the midst of his hide and seek game I was able to take the rawhide away - so I don't think that was it.

Just wondering if this is normal behavior - and I'm not really complaining about it, because it kept him occupied for a while!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Murphy does it with rawhides. It's pretty cute to watch him hide it, only to realize we're watching and he has to find a new hiding spot!

We're going to move the couch someday and find dozens of rawhides tucked under and behind it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep. Ben does it to.

In the winter he buried lots of bones and rawhides in the snow. It was like he won the lottery when the snow melted.

Some of his hiding spots are not very effective though - like trying to 'bury' it on the wood floor under a glass coffee table.

Just this past weekend I actually found an eggo buried in the couch. One of the kids must have given him a piece of eggo and he buried it in there. It was hard and crusty so who knows how long he was storing that away (and it doesn't say much for my cleaning either!).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yep it's normal.

My first beagle Lilly used to hide stuff all the time. I used to take her to work with me and she would hide her treats and bones all over the office. We would go into boxes to get paper/files out and find a rawhide or pigs ear LOL

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone - I have been working with him on his guarding issues and hoping this wasn't his way of dealing with it. Good to know it's pretty normal and just another funny thing we can watch him do!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think they just like to bury stuff.

Ben has absolutely no issues with resource guarding (we can pull food and toys right out of his mouth), but he just loves to hide stuff.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: Pop_RivitMurphy does it with rawhides. It's pretty cute to watch him hide it, only to realize we're watching and he has to find a new hiding spot!
Yup, same thing here
I always find them between my pillows or on the couch

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy does this too! She does not eat any of her bones. We find them in the couch cushions, in blankets, even in bed. It is no longer a surprise to roll over in bed and find one of her bones--even under our pillows. She still has the same rawhide we bought when we first got her...about 4 years ago. It is like new.

·
Registered
350 Posts
wow,
none of my 3 do that.
Bonnie and clyde chew their stuff NOW, Champ tosses it around and usually loses it under something, then does all kinds of contortionist moves to try to reach it. Its fun to watch.
C

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ya, Bodie tries to bury bones and rawhide too. It's funny when he does it inside. He'll dig into the floor like he's digging a hole, put the toy down and then proceed to cover it back up with his nose. Does he not see the same thing we do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts