Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Chloe has this habbit/custom/"disorder" of hiding stuff, including treats and chewable bones (go figure, she is a beagle but won't eat her treats....).
Anyway, yesterday I noticed that she is bleeding just a little from the top of her nose, and the little fuzz of hair is almost gone /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif . I didn't know what it was, but figured she injured herself during play.
This morning, she was playing with one of the bones and hid it... and then started bleeding again... so I know now it's from excess hiding (she is covering with her nose).
I took all her bones away and powdered her nose with the powder I got with her nail clipper....

Has anyone encountered this weird behavior and bleeding?

She is a freak show this one, I'm telling you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Snoopy does like to bury all his food treats too ( well a lot of them anyway).
We used to have a cattle dog who would bury/push the dirt down with his nose and would occasionally scuff it. Not to the extent of bleeding but the fur would wear away a bit.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby buries stuff with invisible dirt. She'll roll or push whatever she is trying to hide between things or as close to a corner as she can get it and then spend several minutes pushing invisble dirt with her nose to cover it. Sometimes she will get creative and use things like dirty underwear and socks to cover her treasure. She's never injured herself though.

I wouldn't put powder on her nose just because she may inhale it and it could cause her to sneeze.

Could it be rug burn? I would call the vet and see what they say.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The powder is actually designed to stop bleedings caused by nail clippers and such. She licked it when I put it on her nail once, nothing happened. I'm not worried about that, and the bleeding is on the top part of the nose/muzzle, just a tiny dot of blood. I'm pretty sure that it's from rubbing it when covering stuff (also covers with nothing when hiding "in the rugs") so you might be right.
If it keeps happening I'll call the vet. I'm kind of tired of vets by now.
My dog back home used to see the vet once a year for his shots - that's it!!!!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Oh if it's at the top I wouldn't worry about her inhaling it. What about liquid bandaid? That would cover it so she doesn't continue to open the scab. I don't know if it's alright to use on animals and it stinks, but it would work to protect that area.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Poor Chloe, your best bet is not to give her anything she can bury. Our first beagle would dig with her nose until it bled. We were given a special cream for it, best to ask your vet for advice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fin does this all the time with the imaginary dirt. I believe it is rug burn and it usually heals in a day or two. I wouldn't worry about it too much because if they're hurt, they will let you know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Beaglina hides stuff a lot too - she tends to do it outside though and then goes and digs up her chews a few weeks later - :pukey: If she's inside (and I'm not around!) she goes for the easy option and hides things under the cushions - otherwise she does the pretend burying too - but never to the point of rubbing her nose raw. This is probably stating the obvious but does Chloe have an old rug or something in her crate that she can safely bury stuff in? or somewhere to hide things where they won't get moved?
Sometimes they are just strange! Beaglina's eccentricity is that she likes all her toys outside, so she'll bring them in to try and convince people to play with her, but then when play's finished she takes them all outside again one by one...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure, she has a very soft nice mattress in her crate, and she buries stuff under my pillows (I find new stuff every evening when I turn in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ). I guess it's just the rugs that are doing it to her.... I am not worried though, I can see that it's a very small spot and only bleeds after she is burying her things. As mentioned before, I tood away everything she usually buries.... hope this helps a little.

The do get obsessive... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jersey does the "burying" in the rug/bed/sofa thing as well, but has never made herself bleed. It's so funny to watch Jersey when she's "hiding" her treasure. And heaven forbid you see where she "hid" it. Then she's got to go and find another spot for it. Jersey did get a burn on her nose once. I made her treats and after I took them out of the oven she stuck her nose up on the stove to smell them while the tray was still hot. Silly Beagles!

I hope Chloe's nose heals quickly. Give her an extra belly rub from me and Beagle kisses from Jersey!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts