Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to get this toy for Gage, but I'm not sure which one is beagle sized. It shouldn't be too easy to get the squirrels out of the trunk, but I don't want to get one too tiny either. Does anyone have this for their dog? Which size?

He's also getting a toy that you put small kibble sized treats in. The only problem is he's a picky eater, and probably won't use the toy if it's filled with his own kibble. Can anyone recommend a brand of tiny hard treats that your beagle really loves?

·
Registered
55 Posts
That squirrel thing looks like a lot of fun, but if it's like a stuffed animal, like it looks like it is, it would last about 4 minutes with my Josie. I wouldn't waste my money on something that's going to have the stuffing pulled out of it in such a short time. Of course if Gage doesn't get into tearing apart these things, then it's a great idea, and would be really fun to watch him work on!

·
Registered
82 Posts
As for the Hide-A-Squirrel, We have one. We also have the Hide-A-Bird and the Hide-A-Bee :thumbup: . We have the Junior size(smallest one)of each, because our beagles LOVE very small squeaky toys.

However, I would recommend The junior size for a Yorkie, the Regular size for a Beagle, and the Jumbo size for a Lab.

If you have a squeaker-toy-destroyer(like I do),I would also recommend that you pick up the additional replacement squirrels right away.

As for the food dispenser, I have no suggestions. I do not have picky eaters. Thus, dog kibble works just fine for them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have a destuffer/destroyer... I would definately recommend the following TOYS

We have all models, different sizes of the same model... and have yet to destroy one. Some we have had for more than 7 years.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, regular it is! He's mostly grown out of de-stuffing toys, so I think he'll be okay, although there are some things he just can't resist destroying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Jen:
If you have a destuffer/destroyer... I would definately recommend the following TOYS

We have all models, different sizes of the same model... and have yet to destroy one. Some we have had for more than 7 years.
Thanks for the suggestion! I've certainly spent more for toys that didn't last very long, they're definitely worth a shot!

·
Registered
751 Posts
those plush toys look like the ones I have bought home for Marley and he has destroyed within minutes. I have been banned by hubby to not bring in any more plush toys. Are they really tough?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Of course, all dogs are different... these just work great for us. Snickers(11 1/2) is EXTREMELY hard on any stuffed squeeker toys. He always has been. On the other hand, Connor(6 1/2) could care less about them.

The really cheap ones from walmart have been known to die in less than 2 mins at our house. We've also had a few expensive ones from petco and petsmart not last more than a 1/2 hour. I think we kept time once. :rolleyes:

I found these(Dr Noys/Material Dog... whatever they are called... have a velcro that I can hardly get open at times. You can replace the squeeker (or take it out when we can't handle the constant squeeking :rolleye11: ) And he has yet to tear or rip one.

We get them at our locally owned pet store for $3 - $5 each. They have them at Petco and Petsmart as well.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We got Moosie the regular sized hide-a-squirrel for Christmas last year and it is definitely his favourite toy EVER! I highly recommend it! Whenever he has the choice, he will pick the hide-a-squirrel to play with, and then play with it for a long time all by himself, even if Popcorn isn't interested.

And yes, Moosie is a squeaky-toy destroyer, but the tree trunk part of the toy has lasted very well throughout the year and they sell relatively inexpensive three-packs of replacement squirrels (I most recently bought the three-pack for $6.95 Cdn. - which isn't bad for three squeaky toys). Moosie just loves the squirrels (which actually look more like chipmunks to me) - he holds them in his paws and licks their bellies before killing them... He loves them so much that we bought 10 replacement packs shortly after last Christmas when we realized how much he loved it.

He has now pretty much made his way through the 10 packs of replacements, and so a couple of weeks ago I ordered another 15 3-packs - I wanted to give him a really big box full of squirrels for Christmas (they look so cute in their little net bags)! Unfortunately they emailed me today to say they only have two in stock and the distributor is out right now too... so Moosie is going to have a smaller box under the tree but I really don't think he will mind as long as he has a few new squirrels to lick and then kill.

And another reason to get the regular size - I think the replacements are only in that size, not the large or the small.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad to hear so many beagles enjoy the squirrels. That's a good sign.

That was an awesome idea about giving Booker a box full of squirrels. Like you, I'm sure he wouldn't mind fewer squirrels, but I would've loved to see a shot of him surrounded by the little stuffed animals.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we decided to let him have the toys as soon as they came.

He wasn't impressed by the tug a jug or liver treats, but he's in love with the hide a squirrel.

The squirrels are on the list of things he can't resist destroying, and we've had two destuffings. However, he still thinks empty ones are the best things ever, so we'll definitely get him more.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by K & G:
The squirrels are on the list of things he can't resist destroying, and we've had two destuffings. However, he still thinks empty ones are the best things ever, so we'll definitely get him more.
Glad the hide-a-squirrel was a hit - I knew it would be if Gage is anything like Moose!

And I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Moosie is like Gage in that he isn't all that fussy about whether the squirrels still have their squeakers and stuffing in them or not. He'll play for hours with the "dead" ones too! In fact, we usually bring out the three new replacements when the last three are still around but nothing more than a bit of soggy fabric.

Popcorn's interest in the squirrels, on the other hand, is limited to taking them away from Moose and chewing their tiny little ears off! Once they are ear-less she leaves them to Moosie to go in for the kill!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts