Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to everything in the beagle world. Our beagle is actually my husbands but I end up taking care of him most the time. It's been a rough time the past year and half. We're still having basic behavior problems (potty problems mainly), I've been told he's stubborn. But we've made some progress. He's a giant sweet who has enough energy to power a major city. Some of our friends are surprised I haven't killed him yet but in truth he's stolen what parts of my heart everybody else hasn't taken over. Everybody else of course includes the husband but there's also 2 cats, 1 snake, and 6 ferrets. That's pretty much us in a very small nut shell.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

Welcome! Would love to see some pics!

I am also curious, how do the dog and all of those ferrets get along?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome!!
Just as a side note... long walks/shorter jogs go a long way to get rid of some of that energy. I've even considered attempting to get one of my guys on a treadmill. As soon as we get one I'm going to try and train them to run on it.
Our Daisy is soooo hyper sometimes!

·
Registered
443 Posts
to BW - Looking forward to seeing some pics whenever you have time - I can imagine those critters and all keep you busy. What I have written below is something I wrote in another group in response to an article about the intelligence of dogs. I applaud anyone who gets a Beagle as their first dog and manages to stick with it - it ain't easy. Shiloh B. was my first Beagle altho I had many before - Beagles are a real learning experience.

There is a very common misconception out there which me and many other Beagle owners would disagree with - so much of the general public BELIEVE that Beagles are dumber than dumb and they deserve being at or near the bottom of any list that measures how intelligent dogs are. Some of the REAL problems are Beagles are challenging, stubborn and the fact that there noses tend to rule their life. But just like with people - they learn differently. Once you figure it out how they learn and develop the patience to stay with it and be willing to take the time they need to learn, Beagles are capable of learning quite well. They do tend to have short attention spans, especially when they are young but what child doesn't have trouble with that. After all, some of the most well know Beagles are those used in many U.S. International airports known as the Beagle Brigade - Beagles doing what they do best, using their noses. They are used to sniff out contraband (fresh fruits and veggies) coming in from other countries that could wreak havoc on U.S. crops. Beagles are now being trained to sniff out termites and show their owners where the pests are - same with the common bedbug.

I have read that article somewhere else - it rated dogs by how many repetitions it took for a breed to learn a new command. Beagles are HIGHLY food motivated - once they learn that when that command is given a treat will likely follow - the number of repetitions go way down - and they do remember very well. If not, how was I able to teach Shiloh to leave the neighbor's bunny alone in less than 2 days. All I did was make him stand in the corner of my yard next to the fence - I wouldn't let him move much and I blocked his view of the bunny. I also made him look at me - sometimes I held a treat near my nose - I discovered that is what it would take to get Shiloh to stay away from the fence near the bunny. Granted, he does not do it 100% of the time - maybe 95% tho. He rarely barks at it like he used to and if he does go near the fence, all I have to do is tell him to go away - and he goes away. I have both Shiloh and Shasta working on a trick routine for later this year - rite now they both will sit pretty on command and roll over simultaneously on command.

My intent here is not to brag about what my Beagles have done altho it may sound that way - I just want to make a point - there are exceptions just like with humans - take the time to teach in whatever way works and you mite just be surprised at the outcome. Believe me, there are many Beagles out there who would put this and other studies to shame.

The article was talking about a new study that showed how it has been discovered that dogs can learn to have the same intelligence as a two year old - and this was a doctor plus a dog owner. I love
these so-called new discoveries - I have to wonder where these people have been.

Anyway, I am sorry to get off on a tangent - I do that sometimes, especially when others (like your friends) have tried to prove something to me that I know for a fact - like you are finding out - just how wonderful Beagles can be. NOw (and you are breathing a sigh of relief
) I have to get bak to work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I know he's smart. At six months he figured out how to get the Thanksgiving Turkey off the counter and ate a huge chunk before any one noticed. He's figured out how to get into the cabinets with the food, they are now child proof. I have been calling him my little two year old for months. That's often what I feel like, I know he's capable of learning what I want but there's this whole he can't under stand me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish he had stayed a puppy. I drove an hour and half each direction to get him. On the way back he slept on my lap the entire way. I thought it was the sweetest thing and then I got home and discovered he had peed on me. : )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts