Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.... My name is MyKale and I am 18... I am just starting my life and I needed a companion... I researched a ton of breeds but the beagle is the only one that cought my eye... I have a handsom boy named Diesel... but he is only three weeks old so I am not able to take him home until the 23rd of Nov...but I visit him pretty much every day... I love to just watch him play...he is so cute... If anyone has any advice I would love to hear... Ill have a picture soon

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: There are a lot of folks here who have raised their beagles from puppies, so it's a good place for answers. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My Li'l Girl was grown when I adopted her, so I'm not much help in the puppy department.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to our pack... :wave:
Once you have pictures of Diesel, be sure to post them.... we love pics... :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Diesel sounds great. Welcome to Beagle World. The only advice I could offer now I expect you won't take. If you could force yourself to let Diesel stay with his mum and pack till at least 10 weeks old he would better learn certain doggie social skills. I know here in the states breeders routinely let their pups go at 8 weeks but those last two weeks are real learning experiences for the young pup and their mum and siblings can do a better job than us two legged types. I know, he's so cute and you want him so bad so I won't be offended if you ignore my suggestion. Diesel will thrive with love, patience, and your attention.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Hi and welcome to Beagle World!! :wave: Congratulations on your expected bundle of beagle joy! It's good you've done your homework, so you know a bit of what to expect. My Shiloh is 11 now, but there are lots of people with much more recent puppy experience who'll be glad to give you pointers. In the meantime, I'd suggest going to your local bookstore and looking through their selections on puppy training. :read: One book that helped me a lot was called Puppy Preschool by John Ross. It takes you through puppy's first year and has a real helpful section on crate training, which is a good method of housebreaking.
The other thing I'd suggest is when you get your little Diesel home, post any questions you might have in the section called Beagle Discussion. That's the section that has the most activity, I think. Oh, and be sure and post some pictures of your new babe!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW, MyKale & Diesel! I love the name you have selected -- one of the fun beagle habits is running like crazy through the house -- we call it the "zoomies". He will go as fast as a diesel train so the name is perfect! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I would have to second Bob's suggestion about trying to leave your pup with its mother until he is 10 weeks old. We have had some members who have young pups post recently about socialization problems their pups have had and it seems as though the reason is that they were taken too soon from their birth mom and siblings. At least you get to visit with him often -- that might make waiting a bit easier. Looking forward to pics -- I have a senior beagle who is now 12 1/2 so I get my "puppy fix" from everyone else's photos!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to BW. You are in for a lot of fun but also probably a lot of concern. Buy the essentials for a puppy, a basket with blanket or quilt, food and water bowls, puppy collar, harness and lead. Toys are also a must. Ask the breeder what food you pup is used to and take some home with you. A good book on puppy rearing would be helpfull and as one member said, try not to take your puppy home too soon. Once Diesel has reached 10 weeks it will be time for the first vacinations followed later by the rest. Until the vacinations are complete you shouldnt take him out amongst other dogs. Diesel will be sad when you first take him home, having been taken away from his mum and siblings. He'll cry when left alone. A warm (not hot) water bottle under his blanket will make him feel better and a ticking clock can also help. You have to decide how you are going to house-train him, either crate training (popular on here) or a very time consuming training, out every half hour or so also at night. With plenty of love and time consuming care, you will soon be rewarded by a devoted four legged friend. Good luck, and keep the questions coming once you have him home.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome to you MyKale! :wave:

Congrats on your puppy and for having the foresight to read up and do your homework.

Although my Henry was an adult, he came to me from Louisiana to Virginia and I had to wait two weeks for him to get here. Those two weeks seemed like an eternity!

I don't remember the last time I had a puppy but the advice that Bob, Judymaggie, and doghouse suggested sounds sensible. I think during those last two weeks is when the mom beagle teaches her puppies "manners" and "discipline".

Whatever you decide...Diesel will be fine as long as you're patient and he knows he is loved.

~Denise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts