Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie here from Maryland. I just got my first beagle a little over a month ago. He is 3 months old and his name is Zeke. He is so lovable but is really stubborn. I have read that that is common for beagles. Is it normal for it to take over a month to potty train? He is learning but has accidents almost on a daily basis.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Greetings from Canada, Gemmi & Zeke! :wave:

Our Tramp is 6 months old and also very stubborn... I'm finding the trick is to outsmart him! :hi:

We're also find it more difficult to house train Tramp than our previous non-Beagle dogs, even though we've used crate training right from puppy-hood. Fortunately he was neutered a few weeks ago and there haven't been any accidents since then, plus the number of trips outside have been greatly reduced. Once Zeke is neutered things should get easier, hang in there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:Originally posted by LeeAnn:
Greetings from Canada, Gemmi & Zeke! :wave:

Our Tramp is 6 months old and also very stubborn... I'm finding the trick is to outsmart him! :hi:

We're also find it more difficult to house train Tramp than our previous non-Beagle dogs, even though we've used crate training right from puppy-hood. Fortunately he was neutered a few weeks ago and there haven't been any accidents since then, plus the number of trips outside have been greatly reduced. Once Zeke is neutered things should get easier, hang in there! :thumbup:
Hi Leann. My Zeke looks a lot like your Tramp. They have the cutest little faces. This is my first dog in about 10 years so everything is new again.I don't use the crate a lot except when I go to work and occasionally over night or during the day if I have an errand to run.My problem is trying to read his signals that he needs to go out. He doesn't bark or scratch at the door. Mostly he will just walk towards it and if no one notices in time he will go in the floor by the door. He is getting better but it has been really frustrating at times.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW Gemmi and Zeke! Housebreaking can seem like a futile effort sometimes, but it will come. Jersey was about 5 months old when one day she went to the door and tapped at it. Suddenly she was housebroken. It was like a light went off in her head one day and she realized what to do. She had been hit or miss about going in the house until that point. Since then, there have only been a handful of accidents and most were my fault for not getting to her fast enough. If Zeke is going to the door you may want to try a bell on the door. Hang some bells on the doorknob or the wall by the door. Everytime you go to take him out, ring the bell so he starts to associate the bell ringing with going outside. That way, even if you can't see him at the door he can learn to ring the bell to alert you that he needs to go out. Also, make sure you praise and give lots of treats when Zeke does go potty outside. Beagles are very food driven and it won't take him long to learn that potty outside gets a yummy treat. Praise him like no dog has ever done anything so great. Just be patient and persistant...it will happen!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Considering he is only 3 months and you have only had him 1 month, I think it's still pretty new to the both of you to expect him to be housebroken. It takes routine, consistency, etc. Marley is pretty much there but he is almost 5 months old and we've been training him over 2. If you are not sure of the signals, you can create one by using a bell on the doorknob that he can reach. You will have to train him on this so will take some time, he probably won't get it right away. Every time you go out, say a word for it and tap the bell. Each and every time. Then, when he goes back there, he will pick up on it himself and begin to knock the bell. You'll hear it and know he has to go out. (or wants to go out).

I use a word for everything we do with Marley so when we say it, he knows what to expect. Go outside, upstairs, inside, kitchen, bed, night night, toy, etc. He's picking up on a lot of it already. Good luck!!!! I think you will have more accidents because you are not using the crate often. It's a personal choice either way of course. With the crate, it helps them hold it and build their bladders because they will not go where they sleep. You then have more control over when they go.

If he goes in the house, try to catch him midaction and take him right out. He will get the association. Also, praise him like crazy when you take him out and he goes. I say go peepee Marley, when he does I say great peepee, good boy, and give him a good rub. When we first started I used treats and as soon as he peed or pooped, he looked at my hand for the treat. He's good at it now so I just use praise. Treats will help you in this stage.

Lastly, you should take him out a lot until you can tell you when he has to go. Take him when he wakes up, after a bit of play, after he eats, after a bit of idle time since his mind is not occupied, before bed, etc. Before you know it, you will know his needs more, and he will know what to expect.

Keep in mind - I too had not had a pup for over ten years, so I can relate to you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
751 Posts
Jen and I must've been typing at the same time, didnt see hers. She has similar info so at leasty we are consistent!

Also, forgot to say WELCOME TO YOU BOTH!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to you and Zeke! Those of us who have senior dogs, particularly rescues, get our puppy fixes from members like you posting pics so read up on how to do that -- you'll get bugged about it until you do. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Curious if you researched beagles before you got Zeke -- I would guess that most literature mentions "stubborn" as a trait -- I prefer the term "strong-willed" but either way it's a reality. My 12 year old Maggie will sit and howl and bark at me for an hour trying to get me to give her a treat ...

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Quote:My 12 year old Maggie will sit and howl and bark at me for an hour trying to get me to give her a treat ... [/QB]
Judy - Foxy Roo does the same thing, she comes and announces at least six times a day it is "beagle Dinner time" talk about greedy.

---------------------------------

Welcome to our pack.

Our baby Gwenni now 9 months was at least six months before she was fully toilet trained.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy :wave: Welcome to Beagle World. Big arroooo welcome to Zeke. Sounds like your making great progress with him. Looking forward to learning more about Zeke /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I actually had not read up on beagles before getting one. I hadn't even planned on getting a dog at all. Someone I know came into my place of work and asked if I wanted to buy one.I found out my husband had talked to him beforehand. Anyway he is a purebred and I have papers from the National Purebred Dog Registry. Zeke has changed so much in the month we have had him. He was very shy at first but boy has that changed. He has learned to sit, at least when you have a treat.He loves to fetch a tennis ball and bring it back but he doesn't always want to give it up. He loves to ride with my husband in the truck. He will actually climb in himself though he barely can reach it. He has learned "no bite" though sometimes he gets carried away while playing. And the potty training is coming along a lot better.I don't have any pictures yet but will try to take some.We love our little puppy so much.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Hellen Louise:
Quote:My 12 year old Maggie will sit and howl and bark at me for an hour trying to get me to give her a treat ...
Judy - Foxy Roo does the same thing, she comes and announces at least six times a day it is "beagle Dinner time" talk about greedy.[/QB]
First of all, welcome to you and Zeke. You have come to the right place for puppy advice - although we are also in the adult rescue camp with all three of our beagles, there are many others here who are going or have just gone through having a young puppy and will I'm sure be able to give you pretty much all the advice you will want and need.

And I can only echo what Judy and Hellen have said - growing up does NOT mean that a beagle grows out of his or her stubbornness - I think "training" in that regard consists of their training us so that we do what they want us to do, when they want us to do it.

Our 10 year old beagle Booker effectively re-trained me on something just this past weekend - for some reason (what was I thinking?!) I was under the impression that if I took the hounds out for a pee immediately after they ate dinner, I was not required to give them a treat upon their successful return. Apparently, as Booker pointed out to me on no uncertain terms, this is a gross misinterpretation of the relevant provisions of the "Beagle Code" and rest assured I will not make that mistake again or I know now that there will be serious ramifications!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BookerMoose:
I was under the impression that if I took the hounds out for a pee immediately after they ate dinner, I was not required to give them a treat upon their successful return. Apparently, as Booker pointed out to me on no uncertain terms, this is a gross misinterpretation of the relevant provisions of the "Beagle Code"
... and here I thought I was the only person who has gotten into this very, very bad habit. Then, to make matters worse, it has to be the "right" treat!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts