Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow animal-lovers! :wave: I'm CJ; or as you know me, Temporarily Dogless. The Username tells only half the story.

Several months ago, we were forced to move from a big house and had to give away all three of our dogs: Pocahontas, an Aussie/German Shep. mix; Poquito, a Chihuahua/Peikingese mix (or as we called him, a 'Pikachu!'); and Annie, a bull terrier/Lab/Chow/Dalmation mix. (we think) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif See, we had no choice 'cause our place is too small and we ended up staying in a hotel for a week while looking for a place to stay...and the shelter we left our animals at had a three-day-limit for reclaiming pets.

Fast-forward a few months. Our financial situation is looking up, and we may be getting into a house again soon. As soon as we do, I want to get a dog; Beagle or Beagle cross, to be exact. I've been doing homework like mad to try and find out if a Beagle really is the best dog for me to get, and so far, I'm sold. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Not big enough to knock me over, but not so small I'd step on it. Plus I've heard that they're good with kids and my sister has a little nineteen month old son.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I want to get my info from the horses' mouth, so to speak, and see what advice you guys have on general Beagle care, what their quirks are, etc.
C ya on the boards!

Oh good grief. :doh: I forgot to tell you about who i am! I'm a college student still living at home...oh, and I'm a Star wars fanatic.

Sorry for the novel-length post! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
Okay, NOW I'll leave. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome.

I gotta ask...what happened to your other dogs? Did they find homes? Is it possible to get them back now that your situation has improved?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy. :wave: Welcome to beagle World. What College in the High Desert? If you get a beagle, please consider taking him to a "snake avodiance" class if you spend time in the desert! I also wonder if you know the fate of your old dogs. I live just over the border in Nevada. Taught part-time for 14 years at UNLV.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to the big dogs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif All of the no-kill shelters were full and overflowing with big dogs and they'd only take our little one. We had to take the bigger ones to the pound. We were running out of time because the friend we were staying with (between house and motel) was allergic to dogs. But, the good news is, dogs that are turned in by their owners have a sticker put on thier kennels and they usually find homes faster than if they were strays. So I'm sure they found good homes. I just don't know where they are.

I live in Victorville just off the 15 freeway and go to Victor Valley Community College. I'm majoring in Media Arts, if you want to know. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Haven't encountered a snake yet, but I don't know yet what kind of house and/or yard we're going to have. If it's rural, I'll definately take a look into those snake-avoidance classes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Beagles are great with kids, maybe the best dog there is for a kid, since beagles never really grow up, they stay kids themselves forever. The best way to think of a beagle is as a perpetual four-year-old child. They have just about the same intelligence and attention span (unless they're on a scent, in which case not much short of a nuclear explosion will distract them).

Beagles are the hippies of the dog world. Free spirits. Give them a command and they look at you like "why, what's in it for me?" For the person who can appreciate that personality there's no better dog in the world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts