Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I am new to the Beagle World.

We adopted a nine month old beagle boy 3 months ago. His name is Ben and he is a rascal! He is tri-colour (mainly black) and kind of small. Cute as can be though!

We are finding adjusting to life with a dog to be rewarding and stressful all at once.

Please tell me the chewing subsides after a while! Please?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

RULE #1: If you don't want it chewed, don't leave it where the beagle can get it.

RULE #2: try and find something the beagle likes to chew better than (INSERT ITEM HERE, such as shoes, rugs, coffee tables, etc.).

It does end, but obedience traning helps.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to beagle world. Puppies chew, so keep safe anything you value. Also anything that can be dangerous to your pup, like electricity cables. They do destroy less later, but at this playful stage be prepared for an active pup. One day you will look back on the puppy days with nostalgia. Mind you the 'pup' might be 10 years old. :rolleye11:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: My best advice about not having things chewed is to keep them out of Ben's reach. Sometimes that's easier said than done. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to you and Ben! Looking forward to seeing pics of your rascal. I adopted an adult beagle so can't help you with chewing ...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wish I could help but my first dog was a pup in 96, and beau was with a babysitter from 9 to 5 for the first six months we had him. Then he was pretty good. The only advice I can give is to play with him alot!

From what my granny says he was the devil in disguise as a pup.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.

We try to keep everything out of reach (with two forgetful kids in the house this is a challenge), but sometimes you think things are out of reach when in fact they are not! Like the makeup brush I lost this morning. :eyes: He has plenty of chew toys and gets lots of playtime and walks, we just have to be watchful. If he is out of eyesight and quiet, he is usually up to no good!

Ben is crated when no one is home and he is content with that thankfully!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes everything is fair game for the beagle to chew. Unless you find something (by smell or taste) that they don't like. I tried bitter apple spray and it seemed to work.

My sandals that I wear to work, now have two chew marks in them. I just cought a new back door mat last night and this morning all 4 corners are chewed. (they don't even sleep in the kitchen where it is)

Friends come over and don't understand why all shoes or valubles are up high, like on the mantle? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome to beagle word!! we love pictures hint hint!!

pfr: my house is the same way...my best shoes are on the fireplace mantle, even the kitty litter box is high up!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW!! The chewing will subside. We used bitter apple spray and that worked sometimes. Our neighbors had a boxer puppy that was chewing everything and they used cayenne pepper to stop him from chewing. Until you find something that works, I suggest keeping everything out of Beagle reach. I kept my ironing board up for months, just to have a place to keep things like our shoes to keep Jersey from destroying them. Jersey is almost two now and I'm just starting to feel comfortable in trusting her not to chew. Of course, she must have at least 50 toys to play with at the moment. Lots to keep her attention! Also, like others have said, trade the inappropriate item he's chewing on for one of his own toys that's OK to chew. That helped us a lot.

Quote: If he is out of eyesight and quiet, he is usually up to no good!
LOL! I know that feeling! I would always panic slightly if Jersey was not in the room and I couldn't hear what she was up to. Of course, it was usually something bad! I was convinced for the first two months that I had her that she was a devil in disguise.

A puppy can be a big challenge. When I adopted Jersey, it had been about 12 years since I'd had a puppy. I went crazy those first couple of months! LOL! But in the end it was all worth it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Welcome! The chewing does get better and training helps a lot. Lucky is almost 2 and still chews from time to time. We have been very good about putting things away and he seems to have stopped chewing things he shouldn't. I make sure he has plenty of toys and rawhides so he doesn't come looking for our stuff! My advice is to keep all valuables out of reach and train him what is ok to chew!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Welcome aboard!
The chewing part I see it as a blessing sometimes, that is when the object is not mine. :angryfire:

·
Registered
135 Posts
welcome!
My puppies used to chew on our table when we werent looking :thumbup:
*Also get your pup lots of chew toys, mine like nylabones with bumps on them!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Is she getting enough exercise? A few power walks a day not only tire her out, but also calm her down. Also, you might think about not letting her roam free when you can't watch her. I've set up a penned up area here in my kitchen for when Maggie just needs to have an area to play where she can't hurt anything while I get ready for work.

Obedience training helps. Discipline helps control puppy frenzy, and helps her understand that you are the boss.

Establish a routine if you haven't already. Wake up....walk...then feed, etc. If she always knows what to expect....they start to enjoy that. Besides teething, boredom and loneliness can lead to doggie chewing and digging.

Hang in there - it does get better!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts