Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been here in a while because everything had been going great! lol Until now...lol

My beagle is a year and one month old. At around four months, we entered him into a training program. I did research on the facility and what they had to offer. They were very professional and worked with many celebrities and well known people. We saw a class or two before signing up and everything looked great. However, what we didn't realize was that it was extremely strict. Our dog wasn't allowed to play in the house or even roam free in the house. He was to be always on command. Huey(the beagle) has learned a lot of commands(sit, down, stay, wave, rollover, play dead, speak, heal, come) but we felt that we just took the dog out of him. We really didn't like that he couldn't walk around the house and that he always had to stay in place(in the down position) and ultimately that he couldn't play in the house. Especially because we live in an apartment. So we withdrew him from the class. Now, we don't really have an idea where to go. He thinks that if he gets up and walks around that he will get into trouble. Because of this we have continued keeping him on command while in the house. I really want to move from that to him being allowed to walk around, play, cuddle, etc. while still being a well behaved dog.

I'm guessing the first step is finding a training program that fits for us. But I want to know what you all allow your dogs to do in the house and how they behave in the house. Do you keep them on command at all times, or just when you want them to be? Thanks for the advice in advance as I am very frustrated over it all. Specifically because the class was $900, and some of that money is lost because we quit the class. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

No, I have 10 beagles, some are allowed to be free all the time, a few are crated when they can't be supervised (the two little girls are still "chewers" - and the two "older boys" are "markers). Maybe mine have too much freedom, but they LIVE here - perhaps they're NOT the best behaved beagles in the world, but they're my babies and I doubt if mine would have lasted more than 5 minutes with that trainer. Good luck with your babies!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
First, what a gorgeous beagle! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif I gate our dogs out of the kitchen, but otherwise they have the run of the house. Since we live on acreage, and they're outside a lot, they're usually napping on their beds when in the house. We're fortunate in that they don't bother anything. They aren't allowed on the furniture, and they know that so it's not a problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have one beagle and two greyhounds. Basically they can do what they want around the house - they can be in any room they want to be in, play when they want to play etc. I don't allow them on the furniture, and they are baby-gated in the kitchen while I am at work. Molly, our beagle, is new to us, so we haven't really begun serious training of any sort other than potty training, leash training etc. Jake and Andy know all the basics - sit, stay, lay down, shake.

Andy is a therapy dog, and I know that the canine good citizen courses are good.

That is an adorable picture you posted!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have decided for sure to let him be free in the house. I just need advice in how to acclimate him to it. He is so used to being on command that as soon as he enters the house, he is in the down stay position. And suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
289 Posts
wow, he's so beautiful!

anyway, I just got my first beagle and can't imagine her laying in the down position for the pope himself. I allow her full access to the house when I'm home and I know she's just been walked.

Good luck with him, I can't imagine a beagle not being a beagle and roaming around constantly with their nose to the floor. Maybe making a big deal when you play with him will help him to relax?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer and Murphy have free run of the house and yard when we are home. The living room, dining room and kitchen only, when we are not (no crates).

First, don't give him the STAY/DOWN command unless you intend for him to do so. Always release him when its OK. Start playing with him more. Try teaching him the same stuff with different commands and only use the "strict" commands when necessary. He must unlearn what he has learned.

Honestly I hate obedience programs that act like military schools. They are beagles, not police dogs. They should be allowed to have fun too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
since diesel is only five months he is gated in an area in which i can always see him... this is our kitchen living room and dining room... if i go upstairs he follows me but i always have my eye on him... he is aloud to be free around the house... when he gets a case of the "zoomies" sometimes i think hes a bit too free and put him outside (he loves it outside)

but personally i like diesel to be free... i did sign him up yestrday for calss which will teach him to be on command if i need him to be

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, Huey is amazingly beautiful!!! He reminds me a lot of BeagleBabe's Abby (coloring and face).

Anyhow, I agree with Joe (Murphy & Summer's Dad). Don't like military strict programs. I think that beagles should go through puppy school and basic obedience training - and all while play.

Try making him feel okay with wondering around the house and enjoying his freedom, and at the same time set boundries, he should know what you allow and don't allow doing in the house. Treat and praise him when he relaxes and having fun with you. It should help.

Good-Luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Does he have a command to release him from a stay? I use 'okay' myself. If he's comfortable with 'stay' and being released from one, I would put him in a stay for a few minutes, then release him and praise him profusely for staying so well. Then I would start playing with him so he thinks he's done what he's supposed to. Maybe since he's so used to the structure you should gradually phase it out, until maybe you're only doing one obedience 'lesson' a day. I would keep up the playing in the house maybe with commands mixed in. Like sitting before you throw his ball, or coming when called once he fetches it. After he's played and been a really good boy, I would sort of ignore him and then praise him if he starts exploring, playing with his toys, laying down on his bed, etc. Sounds like you have a really sweet, well-behaved boy who will quickly learn that life is not all work and no play! I hope this helps...

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching a dog there are boundaries in the house i.e. they are not allowed in the kitchen.

When my husky comes inside we have trained him to know he is only allowed in a certain area of the house, and we have a bed/mat for him inside - when we say 'on your bed' he knows that's where he has to be.

However, making him stay in a down/stay whenever he is in the house sounds a little extreme.

Maybe get him a crate or bed so he has somewhere he can go to? teach him the command 'in your crate' so when he is inside, he has somewhere to sleep and eat etc.

What is important for me in training is to find a balance. I don't like purely aversive training, or purely positive training, but reward based training which combines the two in a balanced way. I'd decide what angle you want to approach training with, because everyone is different and wants different things from their dog, and then go from there /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Huey is gorgeous!

Duke has free roam of the house when we're home (most of it at least, lol). We took him to puppy school and have worked a lot on basic commands and leash training, but he is not on command in the house. He roams around some and wanders, and plays with his toys and the other animals, but then he lays down and mellows out. I agree that he needs training to keep him out of things he shouldn't be into, but he also needs to be a pup and have some fun. Best of luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Huey is just a gorgeous dog.

In answer to your question, our beagle (Kioko, the 8 month-old) is only expected to potty outside and stay out of my daughter's room (she will tear up my daughter's stuffed toys, so I just made the whole room "off limits")

Kioko is a member of the family. She is allowed on the furniture, and she is encouraged to lounge with us whenever we're on the couch or chairs.

I have trained her to "sit" and "drop it," so far, and we will add commands to that training to help her be a good citizen.

Once she's in the house, though, she's home just like we are.

-----

Edited to add: I should clarify -- we've only had Kioko for 5 weeks. Once housetraining is completely finished, we will be more active with obedience training. She picks up commands very quickly, so I anticipate lots of fun doing that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all of the compliments on huey, that pic was around 2 weeks after we got him.

Anyways, he's been doing pretty well acclimating to things now. I carry treats in my pocket and just throw in random commands and tricks during his play such as sit and rollover. I think this is working well so far. I want him to be free to play and leisure, but i also want him to remember all of the commands and tricks he's learned.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will continue to update.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Commands are not easily forgotten if you keep practicing them on a daily basis, 5 minutes a day is all it takes. Do it during play and whenever you feel he is stretching the limits.

Current pictures please /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winkingsmiley.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer & Sydney can do what they want, to some extent. We have rules in our house, it's not a free for all. They do run and play, wrestle and cuddle but we do not allow begging, barking, or for things to get out of hand. We play fetch in the basement because our yard isn't fenced in yet. They are allowed on furniture but if they were to ever get posessive of it, they would lose that right. When we are eating, they are not allowed to just sit there and watch us, they either go off and play somewhere or they go lay down. I don't want to have a dog who is not allowed to be a dog, exactly like you said. Dons need to run and play and sniff, that's just what dogs do. I am not expecting them to be perfect, just well behaved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts