Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I'm Zoe's dad. She's 12 weeks old today. We've been Whippet owners for many years and our girl Oonagh passed away recently. After her passing, the house seemed so empty so we decided to bring another girl into our house. When I was a grade schooler in the 50's my family had a Beagle named Queenie. She was a great dog. A dozen years ago my daughter got a Beagle pup she named Lola (she was a show girl). She was a great dog also so Paulette and I decided to get a Beagle to fill the empty spot in our home. It's been 13 years since we have had a puppy in the house and we are really struggling to house train Zoe. In our last Vet visit we discussed her frequent piddling on the floor with the Vet. He believes she may have a urinary tract infection and started her on a 1 week regimen of antibiotics. We are in the 4th day. It may be helping....we'll see how the next few days go. if we still have a problem, I'll be back here for some advice.
Steve

· Super Moderator
5,421 Posts
Welcome to you and Zoe. Yes, beagle pups can be tough to potty train! Try to keep to a routine with her and praise big time when she goes outside. You can search here for previous discussions - there's a search bar at the top of the page.

· Registered
6,550 Posts
Welcome to Potty World...lol
Im a puppy survivor. I was at homecso I had every opportunity to potty train my dog Cassie. I did all the recommended actions but not much helped..cassie was 10 months old before she was reliable.
A couple things that may help...
1. Dont use puppy pads..it just teaches them to pee in the house.
2. Always say.."lets go peepee". I say that for pee and poop. My dog totally understands that.
3. Take the dog out on a leash to where you want the dog to do the biz..otherwise they get distracted.
4. Get a Clicker at the petstore and when your dog pees/poops outside click the clicker and praise big time..the sound is a reward. You can use the clicker for other training things too. Watch a YouTube videos on how to use one. See attached picture...
5. You can also give a tiny treat when it goes outside.
6. Restrict the dog's area so you dont get a mess in the house.
7. Crate train your dog! My dog luuuuvs her crate to this date.
Cassie will be 11yr old in January and says Hi.
Dog Comfort Tartan Carnivore Dog breed

Body jewelry Material property Rectangle Font Magenta

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.:)

We don't use pee pads, we take her to the same area in the back yard on a retractable leash. We use the same words when we take her out ("potty outside"). We praise her and give her a small dog treat only when she pees or poops. We have put doggie barriers to keep her in the family room and kitchen (open concept house). She's pretty comfortable with her crate. She will go in her crate to nap during the day. We keep her in her crate at night and I get up a couple of times at night to take her out.
When we take her out she runs around like a crazy dog, grabs twigs, leaves, pine cones etc. as she runs around (on her leash) so she is distracted by everything. We try to be patient with this. once she pees and / or poops we go back in the house. Frequently, within maybe 1/2 hr, she will piddle on the floor (I define a piddle as a small puddle way smaller than a full pee). We usually don't see her do that so we cant scold her. That's where we are right now. 😵
Steve
ps, Cassie is a cutie:)

· Registered
6,550 Posts
Sounds like you're doing all the right things..it just takes time. Just dont believe all.those potty training advice that says...teach your dog in one week..it will.make you feel like a failure...beagles take awhile to get it.
Thx for the compliment.
Cassie in her crate... she goes in on her own and i no longer close the door.
Dog Comfort Product Dog supply Carnivore

· Super Moderator
5,421 Posts
I always say that beagles are lucky they are so cute, they are little stinkers sometimes! They are SO smart but sometimes stubborn. She'll get the hang of potty training all of a sudden it will just happen!

· Registered
209 Posts
I think you are doing all the right things. Good you had her checked. I just brought home an 11 week old puppy. She's my second beagle and I had a beagle/lab mix prior. Think how tiny their bladders are at this age, they are like babies and don't have much control. Molly was litter trained by her breeder and we are still using it but she had 3 house accidents, I think mostly because she is so curious and distracted that going potty is last thing on her mind. I think as they get bigger it will get better (fingers crossed).

I laughed when you described how she is distracted outside. My Molly thinks leaves (esp if the wind is blowing) are the greatest things invented. She is full on run one minute and methodically sniffy the next! I haven't had a puppy in about 22 years and I love watching her explore - everything is new to her.
Dog Dog supply Carnivore Pet supply Bird

1 - 7 of 7 Posts