Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
My name is Gizem.I'm 18 years old-will be 19 soon.I live in Istanbul-Turkey.I'm a student at university,studying public relations and it's my 3rd year.
I have 2 rottweilers,both female.One of them is 4 1/2 years old,other one is nearly 1 1/2 y.o
I live with my mom in an apartment with our rotties.I've been considering about adding a beagle to our pack for a while.I researched about them in Turkish and English sources but I believe that the best information is given by owners.

At the beginning I was worried about howling issue but then I found out that howling can be forbidden by training.Every source that I've read says that beagle should be more than 1 if it'll be alone for hours.As I've said I have 2 rotties so s/he won't be alone when we are at school or work.
I know beagles are energetic dogs since they're hounds.I take my rotties for daily walks for sure and I'm able to take beagle with us.And they play at home.My older one likes wrestling with other big dogs but with small or medium dogs she's very kind and since elder one is diagnosed with hip dysplasia she CAN'T wrestling,she prefers to chase.Yet I and/or mom can play fetch at home if s/he has more energy!
I'm totally open for your precious advices!In fact I'm here for hear them

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I believe you're our first member from Turkey. I've had beagles or beagle mixes for more than 30 years. All of them lived with other dogs in our home and, for the most part got along well with the other dogs. I can honestly say that we've never had a problem with howling.

My personal experience has been that females are easier to train and more anxious to please. That varies from dog to dog and owner and owner, so I'd say follow your heart on that issue.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all

Sandyj I hope I'll add my pup's pics as soon as possible but it's not possible at least before 8 months -I'll go to Netherlands as an exchange students in april-.Till the day that I got my pup I'll be around here.
P.S:Sorry for my mistakes.Since English is not my native language I can -and do- make mistakes.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Gizem,a big welcome to Beagle World, and your English is very good. Turkey is a wonderful country, we have explored the whole of it. If your Rotties get on well with other dogs then there should be no problem. Are you planning to get a puppy or adult?If a puppy it probably wont matter if male or female, but if an adult a male would probably be best. Are your Rotties sterilized?
Are there any Beagle clubs in Istanbul?
Looking forward to hearing more from you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

A doghouse my rotties are really well-socialized dogs,in fact they are known as golden rottweilers.I believe there won't be any problem with a beagle puppy with all my heart.
I'm planning to get a puppy.My rotties both aren't sterilized.But they don't have problem with other dogs even in their periods.And I'm thinking to have a female,and most probably I'll get a female.
There aren't beagles clubs neither in Istanbul nor anywhere else.

It's nice to be here.I'm reading threads and they are really informing.Yet I guess I'll ask you a lot since I don't know about the breed.
For example:I take my rotties to walk one by one.I let them offleash and play fetch or chase.It takes 15 minutes or so.Then we walk around and come back to home.More or less that's our daily routine.Is that suitable for a beagle?I mean how long it should take with a beagle?As I've said before I can play with her at home too.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Hi!!! I hope you find yourself a wonderful beagle. I know in the US there are so many adult age beagles in shelters that are in need of a home.

Walking and playtime are VERY important especially for a younger beagle. As are safe toys that will keep them busy in your absence.

A 15 minute walk is fine for a beagle especially if combined with play. However, getting a beagle to be trained to be off-leash can be difficult. You can always get a longer leash so your beagle can run and play while you let one of your rotties off leash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are flexi leashes useful?I have a few and they provide 16 feet distance from the owner and dog is still on leash.
And there are a few places that available for a free-dog (all fenced basketball courts and cages at dog park).I can't take my dog there everyday but I can take at weekends.
We live near the sea and beagle can swim there.

Quote:A 15 minute walk is fine for a beagle especially if combined with play.
Really?That's quite good

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! I've never been to your part of the world but do have an uncle who lives in Ankara. I am certain, by asking questions and reading previous posts, you will find all you need to know to help you decide whether or not to get a beagle.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hi Gizem, we have been to Istanbul several times, my husband worked at the university just down the coast from there. We have been along the whole of the Black sea and the south coast . Anatolia, Lake Van, Nemrut Dag, up to the Iranian border, Mount Arafat, Konja, Permukkala, Dogubayazit, and many other areas. I have spelt some of those wrongly! Beautiful country. We took one of our beagles with us, Spotty, on a six week trip, many people wanted to buy her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy. My beagle used to have some younger female rottweilers friends, two sisters, they were like 3 year old, Bagel, my rescue beagle between 6 and 8. Sadly both of those loverly girls have passed on of old age and my beagle still acts like a puppy. Do consider that, with luck, your a beagle pup will live to see your children start High School. Rotties and beagle can be great friends.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts