Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've just joined as a member. My Beagle is called buster and i hope to post a picture of him soon, He's so cute & comical!!! I am from the UK. We rescued buster from a kennel neer our home. Why is it all the rescue story's are so sad. Mine is no exeption. When we saw buster in his pen he was so loving and just wanted stroking. As soon as they opened the pen he wouldn't come out. After about 20 mins he came out. All he would do is lie on the floor. We got him to the front gate to take him out but he wouldn't go anywhere and if a Beagle doesn't want to do something they don't!!!! It was clear he had been attacked by his previous owner, I don't want to go into detail but he had cigatette burns in his ears and little nicks out of them and was in an awful state. I cryed and took pity on him there and then and loved him ever since. He is now king of the castle and has all the love he needs. We have had no trouble from him in the two years we've had him apart from the Chewing, Escaping, Howling, Barking and Drewling. We have a second dog now and they are sole mates, it's lovely to see. I don't know if it's different in america but you don't see many beagles in our area and we always get children running up to us asking if he bite's so they can stroke him. you just have to look at him to see that he is daft as a brush. We have had to do alot of work with him getting him used to my hairdryer, hair brush, newspapers, hoover etc.. all things we assume he has been attacked with. He wouldn't let men walk behind him for month's and cowers beside me if any men used to come into the room. Bless him, well i best get off now. I'll be driving you all mad. I just needed to tell you all about my 'little angel'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
congrats on your newest family member. I have just recently taken in two brothers and they are coming along beautifully.My boys were pretty scared when they came to my home, but now they are very happy to be at my side. There the best :woohoo: ....
Welcome to BW!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome, and thank you so much for rescuing Buster. :wave: I do think that several of our rescues had some tough times. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif How anyone can abuse a beagle is beyond me!

My Li'l Girl is a rescue, too, and it took her awhile to become secure with us. Now, she may be a little bit spoiled.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW and thank you so much for giving Buster his forever home! I, too, have a rescue (Maggie, now almost 13) but, thankfully, I don't think she suffered abuse. Please do post pics of Buster and his mate.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Buster will come around in time. Just love him and treat him well. Obedience training and socialization would be good too. Don't look for big changes, look for little ones... they add up over time.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Me :wave: My beagle was a rescue and it took him about 6 months not to cower. That was almost 10 years ago and once he shed that recue baggage, he has been the delight of my life. Welcome to Beagle World and welcome to Buster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your warm welcome's. Buster is great now coming round to houshold noises and Izzy our other dog is helping him along as she is not scared of anything! I cant beleive there are so many beagles being rescued. They all deserve a loving home, i'd have them all if i had room!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A big welcome arroooo to you and Buster! Buster is lucky that he found you.

We have three rescue beagles and our middle one, Moose, also arrived with a cigarette burn on his head... how people could do that to a living creature escapes me. Notwithstanding what he went through as a young lad, however, Moosie is a totally happy-go-lucky guy and isn't really afraid of anything anymore (except dental floss and fire alarms).

Our youngest rescue, Popcorn, is a hunting beagle from Newfoundland, Canada and she is another story - she sounds a lot like your Buster in that she started out being terrified of noises, people and pretty much everything else. We've had her for over two years now and she has made wonderful progress in that time although there is still a long way to go... but it is wonderful to see what some love can do when a dog clearly hasn't had love in its life before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts