Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post to say hi and to introduce my boy Flash. He and his brother Bailey (cocker spaniel) are three years old. Flash definitely has a proper beagle personality - very stubborn and cheeky. I mentioned in another post that he recently suffered a seizure that scare us a great deal. He's been alright since then and the vet is looking into it for us. Right now he's being his normal self, curled up between my legs (he liked to be the centre of attention). here's a pic of him trying to be cute - and succeeding.
Josie

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy :wave: Welcome to Beagle World. Flash is adoreable. My mangy old beagle Bagel sends a welcome arroooo to Flash and a friendly tail wag to Bailey!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hello from Henry and I,

Flash...what a cute ham you are! I'll bet you are a cutie-patootie! :heart:

Give him a kiss for us, please!

~Denise

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi and welcome to our group :wave:

Flash is a great looking guy!! I'd love to see a pic of his brother, Bailey, too.

You'll have a lot of fun here and great advice, too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I watched the Crupps show the other night and nary a Beagle did I see /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif ! What's up with that??? Just wondering why no one entered their Beagles.

Welcome, again!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcomes - here's another pic from my phone.

He's currently at the vets awaiting his liver finction test. He's been giving us sad looks all morning as we haven't been allowed to feed him since last night. I'm sure he'll get lots of treats later, though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A big welcome arrroooo from Canada! Flash looks most comfortable in those pictures... We have three rescue beagles, two of whom have seizures from time to time but so far, knock on wood, they have never become a serious problem. Hopefully Flash's tests go well and everything is fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome, Flash is a cute name, but the dog is even cuter! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW! What a beautiful beagle. We look forward to more photos and hearing about your pack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all.
Well, Flash's test results came back, all normal according to the vet.

However, he had another seizure this morning - same as last time, lasting around a minute. My other half was at home with him and amdinistered the diazepam we'd been given, but it didn't seem to reduce the length of the fit (perhaps because it's only quite short anyway), only made him more dazed afterward.

So we're now noting down time and place and what he's been up to, what he's been eating, etc to try and start to see if there's anything in common with each attack. I'm still hoping that this won't be a regular occurence, but as it's been only two and a half weeks since the last one, I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that this is just how he is. We know a couple of people with epileptic dogs and they seem to manage fine - I'm sure it's just one of those things that you incorporate into your life and just get on with.

Anyway, he's still a happy, healthy (apart from the fits) boy and that's what counts.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by josiek:
here's a pic of him trying to be cute - and succeeding.
Josie
Yes Josie, I'd say he succeeded admirably!! Welcome to you and Flash! :wave:
I'm so sorry he's having a seizure problem. Fingers and paws crossed here that it won't be a severe case, and that the seizures will be mild and far apart. Our mini/toy poodle Misty had a mild case of epilepsy most of her life. But her seizures were mild and happened only occasionally, so our vet advised against medication. I hope you have the same results with Flash. BTW, when Misty was a senior citizen dog, she finally outgrew her seizures. She lived to age 20. May you have just as many happy healthy years with your babe! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Spook has seizures, but he's been on phenobarbitol since Thanksgiving of last year, and hasn't had a seizure since then. Knock wood! Phenobarbitol is very inexpensive. The vet does insist that Spook have bloodwork twice a year to monitor his liver functions and phenobarbitol level, but that's a good thing. He just had bloodwork, and everything is fine, so thus far his dosage seems to be right.

I balked at putting him on medication but, after the cluster seizures on Thanksgiving, knew that we didn't want him to go through that again if it could be avoided.

Good luck, and I hope Flash will be lucky and outgrow his seizures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many thanks for all the welcomes. An update on Flash. He's had a few more seizures. We've been monitoring them to see if there's anything in common for each one and the only thing we can see so far is that he's asleep when they start.

In fact, today he has had two - one at lunchtime and one mid evening. They're still lasting no more than a couple of minutes, but the vet said earlier today that if he has more that we should get him started on drug therapy, so we're going to make an appointment first thing in the morning when the vet opens.

I hate the thought of him being on drugs but it's not as bad as the feeling that I have now of worrying that every sleeping twitch is the start of another fit.

Anyway, we'll see what the vet says.

I'm going to try and post some pictures now in the large photo gallery.

Josie

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to the BW pack!

Sorry to hear that Flash is having seizures. The drugs for this do not have major side effects, but levels do need to be monitored. Your vet will probably prescribe phenobarbitol or potassium bromide. Both work well.

Flash should be fine as long as the seizures are kept under control (like one every 3-4 months).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! Flash is ADORABLE!

Sorry to hear about the seizures /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I know all to well about how scary those can be. I had a 5 year old Female Beagle named Bailey who had a few one day, then apparently had some overnight as there were feces and urine allover her crate, but we did not hear her, until the AM, my husband left for work we only had 1 working vehicle, I was at home with our 1 non working vehicle, as I waited for someone to arrive so that I could get to a vet, she had one seizure right after the other, and was unresponsive in between and could obviously not see, She ended up passing away in our kitchen that afternoon before anyone got to my house so that I could get her to the vet, I was told by the vet she probably had so many that night, that, there would have been very little that could have been done, as the way I described her unresponsiveness etc. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

It's Ironic, how in March of this year, I was rushed to the hospital 2 times with 3 Grand Maul seizures and myself diagnosed with Epilepsy and now have to take Medicine for the rest of my life... (I was pre-disposed to devoloping Epelipsy at somepoint in my life as I had an infection of the brain as a child) Well at 28 it found me... thank god my husband was home. *sigh* Anyway... sorry bout' that... Welcome.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Really, having a dog on meds for seizures isn't bad. I just toss Spook's phenobarbitol in his supper, and down it goes. For him, it's been very effective to date. As Joe posted, the vet does bloodwork a couple of times a year to monitor phenobarbitol levels and liver function. This is so much better than having to watch seizures. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.