Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, my name is Sharon.

I am getting my first ever beagle next Friday /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif , so i have been scanning the internet and burying my nose in books to find out about the breed and puppy training.

Currently i share my three bedroom house with my husband (Scott), 4 rabbits (two house rabbits and two shed rabbits), 3 guinea pigs and 2 tortoises.

I have been reading up about the issues that may occur as we have rabbits, but there will be no contact between dog and rabbits, and any contact that may occur will be stricltly supervised (if i am carrying a rabbit through the house etc).

Anyway, sorry, this is my first post and i am waffling on :rolleyes: .

I am looking forward to being part of this forum and learning more about these wonderful animals. :thumbup:

Sharon

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shazza:
I am looking forward to being part of this forum and learning more about these wonderful animals. :wave: !
I just have to correct you on one thing.... beagles are everything but animals, and you will find that out (probably the hard way) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! :wave: At times, we've had both beagles and guinea pigs, and beagles and rabbits. Since the guinea pigs and rabbits were caged, all the beagles were able to do was sit and stare into the cages. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome to BW from Henry and I!

Scotland...on my list of places to go.

Let us know how it goes.

~Denise

·
Registered
751 Posts
welcome!

I really admire your optimism regarding the Beagles and other pets.

I would be so scared.

Pics when you get the pup please!

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Hi and welcome to BW! :wave: I visited your country last summer and thought it was so beautiful! I met one of the prettiest beagles I have ever seen in Pitlochry. I am sure, with supervision, your beagle and rabbits will be fine. We look forward to pictures!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hi a big welcome to BW!! My brother-in-law lives in Scotland (Aberfeldy)and we love it.
Good luck with your beagle, they are adorable, fun, stubborn and hunters! Just keep your small animals safely away from the beagle, then things will be fine. Our Susi is a terrible hunter but our Snoopy only copies her and is not really interested. He prefers them cooked! However, because they are hunters please keep your pup on the lead when outside a secure area, i.e. when out for walks always on the lead. You might read about some beagles here which seem safe off the lead, but this is very rare and too many hounds end up lost or traffic victims.
The essentials you will need at the beginning will be a bed, food bowls, a list of food the pup is used to and if you plan to crate train, then a cage. Once the pup is old enough to go for walks you need to get it vacinated, a harness and lead.
On the vacination point. It is a good idea to first get the pup microchipped and then vacinated. This is incase you ever plan to take your beagle abroad. This is a requriement by the UK, the following procedures must be done in the correct order:
1. microchip
2. vacination
3. a month after vacination a blood sample should be taken and sent to a registered laboratory.
4. Once that comes positive one has to wait 6 months before going away (or returning to the UK).
After that as long as you keep the vacination up to date you dont need the blood tests or the waiting anymore. There are other things you have to do before re entering Britian each time but they are just deworming and anti ticking.

Please take photos of your pup and good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!! :wave: Sounds like you have quite a menagerie already--your beagle will sure have lots of things to sniff!! Be sure and post pictures if you can when you get your new babe.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW, Sharon! We all share in your excitement and look forward to lots of pics. I am one of the many BWers with an adult rescue so we get our puppy fix from folks like you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome to BW from Mr. Shiloh & I ! :wave: :wave: You are looking forward to some GREAT moments. Take a lot of photos ! Good luck and if you need help,just ask. Their are some very knowledgeable people in here. But if you should need to ask a question about your beagle. Best to go to "Beagle Disscussion"page. :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Sharon. :wave: Welcome to Beagle World

I think the age of the beagle at introduction and the attitude of the rabbit will dictate how well it works out. There have been a few who had those large floppy eared rabbits that had the run of the house and yard and sort of let the rabbits train their young beagle. I would recommend a young beagle or puppy as an rescue may well have developed instincts that could be disastrous. Obviously if separate by a cage, no harm can come but a bunny with an attitude might prevail if they met on open ground. The only rabbit I ever had was rescued orphaned cottontail and he had not problem with my dog, a Irish Setter rescue and tried to mount every cat he ever met. I beg you to use all caution in any introduction.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome and arrrrrooo from us too! Looking forward to lots of stories and pictures (we love puppy pictures)! Have you picked a name for the puppy yet or are you going to wait until you get him/her?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all.

Thanks very much for the warm welcome. And all the advice.

My rabbits, at the moment, have a room to themselves. It is blocked with a baby gate, but the door can shut. My rabbits are then secured by a panel (not a cage, but they are caged in if you know what i mean).
I am going to be extremly careful, and make it work.

We may be getting puppy as early as tomorrow, and we are thinking of calling him Sirius, though my hubby is not as keen as me, so it may change ha ha.

I have bought...........

A cage
Food and water dishes
Bed
Vetbed
Toilet train pads
Lots of toys
Coller and lead

And i have ordered a clicker

Do i need anything else?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A harness will be good once you plan to take Sirius for walks. I love the name, have you ever read the book of the same name? A science fiction book about a dog that can talk and think like a human. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by A doghouse:
A harness will be good once you plan to take Sirius for walks. I love the name, have you ever read the book of the same name? A science fiction book about a dog that can talk and think like a human. :biglaugh: ) and a little toy you heat in the microwave to give puppy comfort at night.

I ordered a 5m training and exercise lead too, seeing as they are not so great at recall, best to get a long lead for parks etc.

I have never read that book, no, but it did make me even more set on the name. Is it worth a read? I picked it because im a massive Harry Potter fan, and the Sirius in the book can change into a dog. Plus, i think the pup quite suits the name :biglaugh: .

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
You sound well prepared for Sirius.
The book was written by Olaf Stapeldon (late), originally in the 1960s, I see a new edition has come out (saw on Amazon). It was worth reading, at least I thought so 40 years ago!!! Dave,my hubby also liked it.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome to this site! Beags can be very stubborn & "fancy themselves" as bird hunters as well...but it is possible for beags & caged birds to co-exist! Gorromino the cockateil could intimidate our hounds by his hissing & snapping of his beak! Gorro died of old age at 16&1/2 yrs just short of the average 17 yr lifespan. Most of us have experience with all kinds of pets... but the beagle "is our major focus here"!!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts