Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome :wave: . Daisy is very cute. Looks like a beagle to me. My Chloe is 13" and weighs about 15 lb (Chloe is a MO import /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ).
As you are new to Beagles (I was too about 7 months ago), you are up to many surprises and great stories /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif .
Daisy looks very much like Jersey (Jen-n-Jersey).

Welcome again

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW!! Thank you so much for rescuing Daisy -- she is gorgeous. Always hard to know about a rescue's lineage but she sure looks like all beagle to me and your snapshots sure tell the story of beagle ownership. She has good taste in ice cream! :biglaugh: Hopefully, Maggie will have lots of patience and she will teach Daisy rather than vice versa ...

·
Registered
751 Posts
hello and welcome to you both! Yes, they are very different. Marley is my first Beagle too.

Your Daisy reminds me so much of him. How she sits, her coloring, etc.

How old is she? I have read that Beagles typically are sized between 13 and 15. However, there are shorter and taller, just depends. I am no expert but she looks like a typical Beagle to me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World. :wave: Daisy is beautiful. Beagles are different, but they really work their way into one's heart. :heart: My Li'l Girl is my 4th beagle or beagle mix in a time frame of over 30 years. Our home just isn't complete with a beagle in residence.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I wouldn't worry about her being smaller. I know of a very petite female that is 100% all Beagle. She's just tiny but can get in as much trouble as the rest of them.

I'm originally from St. Louis too. (South County) Sometimes I miss the old city.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chloe's Mommy - I saw a pic of Jersey, and that was my first thought too!

Judy - Maggie will be 14 in April, and she does ok with Daisy. So far she has taught Daisy "Leave me alone!" when she's tired of playing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Marley's mom - I don't know how old Daisy is - she was a rescue. They thought she was about two, my vet says at least one. I guess they go by the teeth? All I know is that everyone who sees her says "That's the littlest beagle I've ever seen."

Sandy, To be honest, I had NO idea what I was getting into when I got a beagle! She definitely has a mind of her own, and it's absolutely true that beagles operate on the "what's in it for me?" premise. She is also not a very affectionate dog /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif She gives me kisses occasionally, but I'm used to dogs that worship me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I hope that gets better over time. I am pretty certain she was abused, so maybe that's why she's not affectionate. At first, when I went to pet her, she'd cower /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif That has gotten much, much better, but when I yell NO!, she immediately flattens herself and holds herself in a way that looks like she knows she's about to get hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif No wonder she ran away.

One really funny thing she does: I taught her how to sit, lay down, and shake. I do little reinforcement training sometimes, and of course Maggie is there, so I have to take turns giving them the command and a treat. When it's Maggie's turn, Daisy sees the treat in my hand and madly flails her paw for a shake, thinking she'll get it :biglaugh:

She also LOVES big dogs, and delights in getting them to chase her. She is FAST, and can turn on a dime, tearing off in the opposite direction and frustrating the big guys. She also likes chasing them, and the day we were at the dog park, I hear her start baying and everyone there started laughing. I turned around and there was Daisy, chasing these two HUGE dogs, a 90# dane mix and a 75# shepherd. It looked like they were afraid of her...LOL

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
beagletails, I was typing when you posted. I'm not really worried about her size -- she's very very cute!
I live in Olivette. Aside from the really stupid name, it is a nice area, and there is a greenbelt and bike/dog walking trail at the end of my street.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, what does "I've been snowballed" mean? I see it on a lot of signatures.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by DaisyTheDevilDog:
BTW, what does "I've been snowballed" mean? I see it on a lot of signatures.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif We were playing a game, where a Merry Christmas message was forwarded by each of us to 3 other members. We tagged ourselves as been snowballed when we got the message to forward. When Jamie (AKA: beaglebabe) gets back from her holiday vacation we will do a count to see how many of the members got the message.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome to BW from Henry and I! :wave:

Daisy has a sweet, innocent little face.

"Devil"? Surley you must be mistaken! :rolleye11:

Love the pics, too!

~Denise

·
Registered
702 Posts
Looking at your pics of Daisy and especially your description I was laughing out loud here all by myself with my Daisy looking at me like I had gone around the bend. Are you a writer, by chance??!!

Welcome to Daisy and Maggie and to you, Mom :wave: You are certainly in the right place here. Looking forward to lots of stories and more pictures.

From my Daisy to your Daisy "Arrooooo"

Monica and Daisy :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Welcome to Beagle World, Daisy doesn't look like a Devil Dog. I am partial to older dogs and Maggie is a sweetie. Looking forward ot hearing more about Maggie and Daisy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome ot the BW pack!

Daisy sounds like a typical beagle. I did not see where you said how old she was or how long she has been with you. If she is over 1.5 years old, she is full grown. At 11", she is either a runt (nothing wrong, just small), or a mixed breed (again, nothing wrong). When it comes to killing rabbits, beagles excel at it. They think its a game.

As with all rescues, it takes time for them to come out of their shells, losing the baggage takes longer, some always have fears. Just keep reinforcing the good in her and you both should do well.

My Summer has been with us for 5 years and she still gets upset when I correct her. Afterwards, she feels she must make up for it by becoming extremely affectionate. Like I could ever shun her for more that 5 minutes. :eyes:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hi, My Maggie is also my first beagle and also my first puppy. I had a lot to learn and am glad I found this group to help me! Maggie will be two in May and I frequently say that I see the devil in her eye. However, she has matured a lot and we have taken many classes together to work on behaviors. I hope she never loses that mischievious glint in her eye. Many people told me not to get a beagle, but she is perfect for us. I love the breed, have started volunteering for a rescue, and hope to get another beagle someday. Maggie and I look forward to hearing your stories. Daisy has that same glint in her eye so I am sure there will be many stories.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to you and Daisy! Our three beagles are all different shapes and sizes and some of them definitely have something else besides beagle somewhere in there - but they are true beagles through and through regardless! Looking forward to lots of stories and pictures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts