Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm mandy and have an 18week old beagle called Brewster, who is absolutly fab. I have never owned one before although I have had other dogs. All's going great at the moment apart from walking - pulling and dragging me everywhere, I even had someone say to me the other day "your dog taking you for a walk then?". I have read some of the previous posts on the subject and see harnessess are recommended which I am considering, however any other advice on this or anything else for that matter would be really appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
:wave: . Tippi walked us too when she was a puppy,and we had one of those leashes that when you pushed the button it would extend 13 feet, so we bought one that was stationary and I made her walk right by my side until we got to our dog walk, then I would give her some slack to give her a chance to "sniff and go". It took a week or so for her to catch on that I was walking her and not the other way around. Sometimes I would just practice a few times a day to get her used to it and one other thing we taught her was to sit to have her leash put on and we walked out the door first and she followed. She is seven now and although she forgets occasionally(especially if our neighbor's dog is out), I make her sit and stay until she calms down and then we go out. The key is to have patience because they can be awfully stubborn, but if you perservere both of you will look forward to walk time.

Lora&Tippi
"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Looking forward to knowing you.....welcome to a wonderful place! :wave:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Welcome to the best Beagle Forum!
You have to tell us all about Brewster, good and bad, how it got his name, etc. :happyhappy:

I have over the years switched to the harness method. The little devils are so intent on getting from one unbelievable good smell to the next unbelievable good smell, they pull until they can not breath! I know I should make them walk "nice", but I really feel that it is their walk and I pretty much let them enjoy themselves. Do be careful though, it is possible for them pull backwards and actually back out of the harness. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Those of us with Seniors just love puppy stories. There is no such thing as a post that is too long, a dumb question and all pictures loved and welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Hi Mandy and Brewster

Welcome to our pack

Hellen

·
Registered
146 Posts
carry a hot dog with you on your walk. Show it to her and say "by me". When she gives you her full attention and is walking beside you give her a bit of hot dog (very small bit). Do this randomly and throughout the walks. Soon she will realize that walking beside you is where the action is.
Definitly get a harness and 6 foot leash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI All

Thankyou for the lovely welcome and all the advice which is much appreciated.

Here's a bit of background on how we got the lovely Brewster. As I said before I always had dogs when I was growing up and knowing how much joy they brought to me when I was young I always wanted the same for my son. Unfortunatly the places we have lived up until now have not really been suitable for a dog, so I have had to wait - not so patiently my husband would tell you. Luckily, now we have a bigger house and lovely garden for running around in and when we moved here the search for a dog started, almost before I had unpacked lol.

I had to be careful with the breed as my son has asthma and lots of research later it seemed a beagle was going to be the best for us. Again after lots of research I found a reputable breeder {its frightening how many are not so reputable}. We were very lucky in that the breeder let my son spend some time with the dogs just to check whether they would effect his asthma and thankfully they didn't.

The time we had to wait to bring him home seemed like a lifetime we were so excited. Picking a name was a bit of a nightmare though - what I liked my husband didn't, what he did, I didn't (especially the ones after Rugby players!)and my son was trying to insist on naming him after someone from Lord of the Rings!!!! Anyway I bought all the books, searched the internet and nothing, until one day a group of our friends were discussing what we watched as kids and I suddenly remembered a programme I loved called Punky Brewster and we all just went thats it - Brewster.

Brewster really suits his name too, he's very cheeky and mischievious just like the character. He loves stealing things from the washing machine when I turn my back for a second and then proceeds to tease me with it by running up to me and then legging it off, tail wagging like mad while I run myself ragged trying to catch him. He really can take the mickey and I am certain he knows he's doing it too LOL.

Whoops I have gone on abit there haven't I, but Brewster is my favourite topic.

Take care all

Mandy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Awww...it's so nice to hear stories of other beagle babies! Brewster sounds like a sweetie and I'm glad you found Beagle World. It is an amazing place that I am so thankful for.

As far as walking goes, I definately recommend a harness. Wyatt was a much happier boy when he wasn't wheezing...but as someone pointed out before, be careful if they are behind you and you tug, the dog will slip right out of the harness!!!

Keep us updated on your newest family member!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Amy, Wyatt and Doc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you liked hearing about Brewster and Im sure with the cheeky little monkey I'll have plenty of stories to tell in the future. Thanks for the advice on the harness I think I'm going to get one. I hate seeing him all stressed out pulling and wheezing. Pics of your beagle are lovely he looks a really cutie.
x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Mister Jim

I'm near to Manchester which I'm sure is not as pretty as where you are. Brewster is great and certainly keeps me on my toes. I'll post pics soon - once I've worked out how to do it!

Like your choice of dog name too.
x

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy :wave: Welcome to beagle World and a big arrroooo to Brewster. I taught my rescue beagle to heal and "polite" walk but it really isn't as much fun for either us except when around people! I used lots of praise, an occasional bribe (piece of a cold cut), and a nice "reward" at the end of our walk. I have a short leash for those walks but other than going to the car or I seldom use that leash. Almost all of our walks now are alone in the boondocks and I use a tracking harness (To pull him back from Rattlesnakes, Badgers, Mineshafts, etc...) and a 30 foot lead. I call those "sniff" walks and and now is his senior years, 99% of our walks are like that. If I have him sit at my left leg, hold the middle of his short leash in my left hand, say Heal and stride off he will "polite" walk but neither of us have as muich fun! He does look right smart "polite walking" into the vets but that is about the only place he has to act like a dog and not a hound anymore. Brewster will get the hang of it and your happiness willlbe his reward but remember to also let the hound in him have a sniff once in awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts