Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a long time beagle lover. When I was a kid in Ohio my uncle raised hunting dogs, including beagles. My first dog was a beagle named Pokey and from the time I was seven I could take my .22 rifle and Pokey and roam our 360 acres at will.

Pokey was a great rabbit dog alright. Every summer he'd bring home two or three litters of baby rabbits he'd found out in the fields. He was always so proud of himself. My mom would then spend the next month or so feeding them a special formula she got at the feed store from a doll baby bottle. Most would die, but every now and then a few would make it and be released back out in the fields. Unfortunately, Pokey was hit by a truck and killed when he was about four.

Didn't have another beagle until about eight years ago when we got Suzi, our current beagle baby. We'd lost our border collie Muffin about a year before when she'd had a heart attack at age 16. My wife Paulette and I had started talking about getting another dog and I suggested a beagle. Paulette said it was fine with her, so I started pup shopping. Well, all the beagle pups I could find were $400 or so, and at the time we just couldn't afford that much for a dog.

One Sunday I had just woken up, was still lounging around in bed, and had an idea. What if I started watching the lost and found ads in the paper and if I saw a dog I was interested in (we were open to several breeds) I'd call and let them know that if the owners didn't come forward we'd like to take a look at the dog. So I got out of bed, walked into the living room, picked up the paper and the very first ad was "found, young female beagle." I couldn't believe it! I called and the woman who had her said the dog, about seven months old, had been hanging around the local library for several days and the library workers, knowing she rescues both dogs and cats, called her. She'd had the dog for a week, and she wanted to wait another week to give the owners a chance to see one of the posters she'd put up. If no one had called by the end of the week we could have her.

The following week was one of the longest in my entire life. I felt like a five-year-old waiting for Christmas. Finally, Friday came and I called the lady. "Come and get her," she said.

My wife and I drove across town on Sunday to get the dog and the first look at her took my breath away. She was a tri-color, just what I wanted, and she was beautiful. That was in 1999 and she's been our baby ever since.

Suzi (she doesn't much like my camera)

I guess it was just meant to be - to have the idea about looking in the lost & found, and for that very day to have the very first ad be for a beagle, it must have been God's idea.

Oh yeah, her name. Suzi was the name of my Pokey's mother, so when we got this little girl I named her Suzi in honor of Pokey and his mother.

Glad to be here.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome John!

You're right...Suzi was meant to be your baby.

I love the pictures, she is completely adorable! :heart:

Kisses to her from Henry and I!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW, John! I loved your story of how Suzi came into your hearts and family and she is beautiful. Looking forward to more stories and pics (taken in spite of Suzi's dislike of cameras!) Many of us on BW have adopted our beagles (my almost-12 Maggie, included).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
What beautiful eyes! Welcome to Beagle World. I just read your pizza story. It seems that if food is involved they never forget.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome to our group, John :wave:

I loved your story about Suzi. Our Daisy came to us in an almost miraculous way, too. It was a circuitous route, with her going from place to place until we volunteered to babysit her until her owner could be found. We, of course, were hoping he would NOT be found; we loved her immidiately and also had been looking for a Beagle.

Well, her owner WAS found. BUT he said he would let us keep her because he had several other dogs. (Personally, I found it odd that someone would do that!) And she's been with us for just over two and a half years.

I, too, believe God wanted us to have her, not to mention our previous dog, Vinny, who I had asked, out there beyond the Rainbow Bridge, to send us the perfect dog for us. Amazing things happen, don't they?!!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. What a lovely girl your Suzi is. Hoping to see more pictures and hear more stories about your beagle.
Angela,Dave, Snoopy and Susi.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome, John :wave: It does sound like you and Suzi were meant to be!! Thank you for giving a little lost lady a loving home. She is beautiful, and obviously a very literate dog!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
I got a kick out of your story of Pokey bringing home litters of bunnies--he must have thought your mother was a great mom!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif When we first got Shiloh, people often said to me, 'Oh, I [or my uncle, dad, etc.] had a beagle years ago. Great hunting dog. ' or 'Great rabbit dog' Nobody ever said 'What a wonderful pet.' It got sort of discouraging, because I'd never had a beagle before. But it turns out that beagles are wonderful pets, and now Shiloh has my heart wrapped around her little paw!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Genie,

I don't think there's a better dog for a kid than a beagle. When we first got Suzi people would say "oh, aren't they hard to house train," or "oh, aren't they noisy?" Well, Suzi took two days to housebreak and she rarely barks or bays unless I encourage her to do so. She does have a way of looking at you and sighing, or glaring at you and snorting that gets her message across quite well! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Judy,

We're right up the road from you in Bloomingdale, right behind the Walmart at Bloomingdale Ave. and Bell Shoals Road.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Just drove by there today on way to lunch at Panera's on Lithia-Pinecrest. I am in Villas at Lake St. Charles, off of 301 south of Bloomingdale. Small world (but a wonderful one with beagles around!) ...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I read your post about Suzi and the pizza, and knew you had a clever beagle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Welcome to our forum. Suzi is beautiful, and my Li'l Girl is also a rescue. She's been with us since July, 2000, and is my heart's delight! :angel:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome to BW! I am just going to have to make a trip to Tampa, so many in that area. I also have some friends there. Your Suzi is a darling!!! Can't wait to hear more stories and more px!! Bill, Beth, Thelma and Louise

·
Registered
862 Posts
A little late in welcoming you and sweet Suzi to the pack :wave: Loved your story about how you and Suzi found one another.

Glad to have you with us!!!

Boeing and his mom, Pat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts