Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, right now, it may just be the fact that I have so much money invested in him that's keeping him alive. Nah, who am I kidding? I love the little guy to bits.

Elvis is recovering nicely, but he's so very, very tired of being cooped up and unable to go for walks. So tired of it, in fact, that he's taken to destroying things, thanks to all that pent-up energy.... things like THE WALL. I can't leave the guy alone for 5 minutes, apparently.

I'm really glad he's feeling better, but I do so wish he wouldn't eat my house

On the plus side, who knew you could use a beagle to strip wallpaper?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Maybe you could hire him out and make money off of him???????

Try bitter apple spray, that worked on my two when they decided to chew on the bottom of my kitchen cabinets, coffee table.

Good Luck and keep us posted on Elvis's recoup....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Zelda used to eat the wall as well. Along the baseboards in the basement would be like a white powder/dust everywhere, but that stopped once we used bitter apple spray.

Glad to hear he is doing well (in a health sense). Hopefully once he is able to get out and run around he will be able to release all his wall eating frustrations!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When Romeo was a pup he made several HUGE (dinner plate size) holes in the wall by my bedroom - he developed a taste for bitter apple and it didn't deter him at all. One night during chat on Beagle Bay, someone suggested tobasco sauce. Since I'd tried everything else and nothing worked, I thought, what the heck, can't hurt! So the next time he started chewing on the wall, I got out a big bottle of Tobasco sauce and sprinkled it liberally all around the existing holes. Romeo walked to the first hole ' sniff sniff sniff - walked to the second hole - sniff sniff sniff - walked back to the first, hiked his leg and PEED on it. Then turned to look at me with a There, that's what I think of THAT look - BUT he never chewed the walls again. Now when one of the beagles starts chewing on something inappropriate, they get some tobasco sauce on it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I had one recently that chewed holes into the floor in my dining room. It is just the sub floor that is showing because we have been planning on putting ceramic tile down. I am sure there are many smells in the floor as this house is over 40 years old, but I wasn't sure how to make her stop. She went back to her previous owner recently so it's no longer a concern, but I will keep tobasco in mind should any others start the behavior.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just picked up a bottle of bitter apple today. We're also using it to spray his bandage now, to keep him from gnawing on it. So far, it seems to be working.

beaglesmom, I guess Romeo showed you what he thought of that!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I know he will hate it, but get an E-collar on him. I've been through the gotta get this bandage off phase. Trust me, the last thing you want is that paw exposed right now.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have used an alternative to the e-collar called Neck's Best Thing. It is basically a neck brace for dogs that you can cut to fit -- attached with velcro. Here is the website that I ordered from: Neck's Best Thing
It allows the dog to eat, drink and walk without crashing into walls!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts