Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day we picked Maggie up from the breeder, she mentiond that her umbilicus had a small hernia, and that she would have it surgically fixed by her vet if we weren't planning on having her spayed, otherwise we could wait and have it fixed by our vet once she's old enough to spay.

I'm just wondering how common this is, and if it makes the spay and recovery any more difficult. The hernia isn't big, it basically just looks like a small 'outie' belly button. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Many many dogs have this. Chloe's was fixed when she was a few days old, so you can barely see anything. My other dog has it, never been fixed and never needed to, the vet checks it out once a year for the past 12 years...

If you are not planning on breeding her and she is scheduled to be spayed, you can ask the vet to correct it, just to avoid any problem that may (and probably may not) occur.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My Maggie also had a hernia; it was fixed with her spay surgery and she did just fine, although she did have an extra area to heal. The key is keeping them quiet during healing (ie no jumping,no running, etc), which is a challenge with an active beagle pup, but she only took a week to heal.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My Maggie had the same thing.She had it repaired with no problem.
As Deb said its keeping them quiet that is the problem.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My Little Man Tate had one also. I never had to have it repaired and I don't even notice it anymore now that he is a year old. The vet said as long as it didn't get any worse that I shouldn't worry about it so I never have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.