Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miss Sadie has been walking a bit stiff lately. This morning she was extremely stiff all of a sudden and came in from outside shivering. She laid down and shivered in the hall way. Shivering is a sign of pain or fear I believe. Hubbie took her to the vet first thing this morning. The vet examined her and felt along her spine. The vertabra down near the tail is herniated. They also call it slipped disk syndrome. She is to take Rimydly twice a day and be a couch pototoe for at least a week. The vet says that after a few days of Rimydly she will feel better but will have flair ups. The vet said it is an orthopedic problem, not neurological. They did x-rays. We got to see the vertabra with the problem, it is the one that meets the tail. She is not showing any neurological signs of impairement. We trust our vets. She is bright and happy, but very stiff and isn't real happy about having to take it easy, but too bad. We don't want her to injure herself further.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Ms. Sadie! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I am so glad that you were able to get a quick diagnosis and that there is no neurological involvement. Gentle hugs sent your way!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Aww, poor poor Miss Sadie! Lucky sends biscuit her way and I send hugs & kisses to a speedy recovery! Glad you figured out what it was quickly and it wasn't more serious.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
May I suggest something? You may be able to find an osteopathic physician near you. Many DOs treat animals, including the ones I work with in Oklahoma. That disc can very possibly be manipulated back into place thereby giving your baby better and extended relief.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel has been "confined to quarters" twice for somewhat similar probles (nothing slipped) but joints were tweaked once and he cracked a bone in his front leg once. Both times, the hardest part was convincing him to take it easy! I wound up making him a ramp to get in and out of bed (He sleeps with me) when he cracked his leg bone. The second the meds kick in Miss Sadie will be ready to go.

Miss Sadie, listen to mom, she knows best!

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Poor little girl. I hope she will soon feel better. So many Beagles have disk problems, you have to wonder if never breeding dogs who have the condition is enough to reverse the predisposition.
We are sending a few prayers her way, and please, do keep us updated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Sadie! I know how you're feeling. Amber, along with all her other issues, also herniated a disc once. We lived on the fourth floor at my college apartment complex and dogs were not allowed on the elevator. All the constant stair trips would make it worse, so I used to cheat and take her on the elevator anyway. It was either that or carry a thirty five pound overweight Beagle up and down three flights of stairs. Anyway, we gave her pain killers and anti-inflamatories (I don't think Rimadyl was available for dogs yet back then) and she recovered nicely. We did have to be carefull about what she did and where she jumped after that though.

Sadie, I hope you're feeling better soon! Belly rubs and Beagle kisses to you (and Pooh Bear too, we don't want him to feel left out!).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I am sorry to hear of Sadie's spine problem. I first read it and thought the usual mid-spine disk issue. Thankfully its not. Crate rest is the non-invasive recommendation.

I hope she feels better soon.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Murphy's Dad: Is the place she has her herniated disk a pretty normal place to have this? She injured her tail as a puppy also and I think that may be what has evolved into this at age 7. She is stiff this morning, has been out to pee and poop, had her breakfast and pill and back in to rest for the day. Thanks all, I'll keep you posted.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
No, its not the place I would consider normal. Its usually the neck or mid-back and the symptoms are much more severe: neurological problems and paralysis. Crate rest will sometimes allow the symptoms to dissapate, but it does not correct the problem. Only surgery can do that.

I do not believe Sadie is at risk for paralysis, but this could flare up again in the future. Check with your vet to be sure.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Mom of 2, Amber's herniated disc was around the same place as Sadie's. I think it was the second disc up from her tail. The vet said that it was not the normal place to see a herniated disc, but if this had to happen, it was good to happen there. There was little chance of paralysis or any kind of major damage. I just had to be careful about her jumping to avoid any further damage.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Get well soon, Miss Sadie!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, we live and learn. Sadie was feeling real good this morning. All happy and waggy tailed. She had her breakfast and I let them out to go pee and poo. I guess I let her walk around the yard too long. I came back in the house to get some coffee. I came back out to have her come on back in to rest and she is walking real slow and stiff with her head held low. I have her come back in and give her the morning Rimydly. We have a mattress on the living room floor so I lay with her and cuddle. After about an hour she feels fine again. All happpy and waggy tailed and wanting to go back out in the yard to play. I say no, no, you are going to take it easier than what we have been doing. Is this what is happening? She gets out there and maybe jumps up on a tree to sniff or does something to tweak that disk and aggravates it. It of course hurts. Then after a while it gets to feeling better. Anyway, yes we have learned our lesson. We are taking it extremely easy. We are laying on the mattress today. I have the door shut to "their room". In their room they have a couch and a love seat by a window. I don't want her jumping up and down on that couch. We don't have crates anymore. But this will work if I stick to it and don't cave in to her big brown eyes begging to go outside and play.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
For Sadie or any of the others who have had a herniated disk down by the tail did there seem to be any impact on the tail itself?

I ask because a couple of times a year Booker does something to herself (we think it is caused by "over-aggressive nesting" in the blankets in her bed) and ends up in a lot of pain with her tail curled tight under her butt. The first time this happened she came back from the dog walkers like that and we thought that she was upset - because her tail was down so far between heer legs - until Marc went to lift up her tail and she let out a horrific howl. After this happens she is in a fair amount of pain for a couple of days (so we give her Metacam for a couple of days) and she cannot really sit comfortably or lie in any way that puts weight on her tail - then that clears up but it takes about two weeks for her tail to slowly lift back up until it is flying high again like normal. The vet has looked at her tail and taken x-rays and nothing seems to be obviously broken or wrong - and since it always clears up on its own we haven't investigated further - but I wonder if it could even be something like a herniated disk.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your Booker sounds like he gets "wet tail syndrome". Or is it called something else? When their tail gets inflamed and sore. Sometimes it happens after they have had a bath. Yes, Sadie has had that in the past. When her tail gets sore for some reason. She also injured her tail when she was a pup and has never held her tail up like it should be since. We don't know how she injured her tail. But I wonder if that injury has progressed to this herniated disk near the tail.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
BookerMoose: Whenever Maggie is in any kind of pain, for whatever reason, her tail is tucked as far between her legs as possible. This is usually the first sign that something is going on with her.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts