Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the boards for a couple of weeks, but reading Marti Knox's posting about her girls getting loose reminded me of our own little escape. Henry jerked the leash out of my hand on a fresh rabbit scent a few weeks ago (we were just out for a potty so I was unprepared for a bolt). We live out in the boonies, with lots of woods and acreage all around. Henry took off down the back hill like there was no tomorrow. Henry is normally sweet and obedient, and comes when called most of the time, but not this time! I took off after him, afraid to let him get out of my sight (which he managed anyway). He dashed across a huge field and was gone. I watched him break through a barb wire fence that was totally overgrown with brambles and it was like he vanished into thin air. Now I'm pretty fit and like to jog, but after just a couple of minutes of hard running I was done in, not to mention I'm hollering for him and about to have a heart attack in somebody's pasture. I got to the fence he went through and went looking for him in a thick stand of woods. I called and called and called, but since he doesn't ever bark I had no idea if he was even around. After about a half hour I think I hear dog tags and try to reign in my hysterics to call more forcefully. Here comes Henry, nose to the ground, coming in the opposite direction. I managed to snag him as he was exhausted. He was wet (there's a stream nearby), covered in sticky seeds, and had a cut on his snout from the fence. His nose was caked in dirt from his sniffing, lol! I grabbed him and started crying. Authoritative, I know. I praised him and thanked God he didn't get hit by a car. Out on these country roads, no one would have been able to stop in time. Bear in mind that Henry's not even full beagle and pretty well trained. Scary stuff. Thanks for listening (maybe reading is more correct?!)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Oh I'm so glad Henry is OK.
Been there done that!!! I know that sinking feeling and also the feeling when you find them...pure relief /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/photo.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So glad the story had a happy ending. Our first two beagles gave us some scares. the first one, Bilbo, ran off whilst we were on holiday in Spain. All we saw was this beagle racing down a valley
Shrieking on top of her voice after a rabbit or something. We didnt know what to do, in a strange country, no mobile phones in those days. we decided to stay where we were and what seemed like hours later, we heard this beagle noise coming back up the valley. Bilbo came up to us as if it was the most natural thing in the world to run off like that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, wow, have I been there and done that! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif One of our Bridge beagles, Bocephus, took off after a deer once and was gone for 4 days. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/classic-smiley-11.gif There was a lot of crying and searching doing that time.

That's why Li'l Girl is NEVER let out of the fenced area unleashed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/gaah.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
OH yea.....I know that sinking feeling and pounding panic well!!

I'm so happy that all ended well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Glad Henry is OK and back safe and sound. Same thing happened to us with Vinny a little over a year ago. He stayed gone for several hours, not doubt chasing scents in the orange groves behind our house. He finally walked into the garage tired and scared.

Since then he has escaped 2 times, but NEVER leaves the boundry of our yard. I think he must remember his escapde and how it scared him. Instinct is an odd thing and at times a curse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can definitely relate!! Last summer Maggie disappeared for 2 hours as we are frantically calling and searching (she doesn't bark either) and as we started to go inside to call animal control, she sneaks in through the doggie door and when our eyes meet she just freezes! She knew she was in trouble but I was too upset to be mad at her! Not to mention she was extremely dirty and extremely fat! She ate something she shouldn't have but she seemed happy about it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I'm glad Henry came home safe and sound!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts