Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our newest addition Sulli is transitioning from being a totally outside dog from a climate of extreme temperatures to an inside dog. Needless to say in the past week we have seen her begin to shed her winter coat now. I can't even believe how much hair she has lost. I had my grandkids here today and honestly the outfit my grandson had on was like a magnet for hair and within 5 minutes he had more hair than the beagles on him.

My question is...is there anything I can do to help her get through this process faster? I can only vacuum so much and since I tend babies during the week that crawl all over the floor I obviously want to keep the amount of hair down to a minimum. I do plan to bathe her tomorrow in the hopes that it will help a lot of it fall out, but is there anything else I can do? What brushes, grooming gloves, etc.. do people like the best?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
alittle cooked egg in his food, helps and also if you wanna invest in a furminator that thing is a godsend, my golden used to shed like crazy but i got one of those things and it SIGNIFICANTLY helped, you just have to make sure to use it two or three times a week when the beagle is blowing its coat and u'll def. less hair everywehre and it shortens the length of shedding process.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sephly...and also if you wanna invest in a furminator that thing is a godsend, my golden used to shed like crazy but i got one of those things and it SIGNIFICANTLY helped, you just have to make sure to use it two or three times a week when the beagle is blowing its coat and u'll def. less hair everywehre and it shortens the length of shedding process.
I agree the furminator really works, you will be surprised at the amount of fur it gets out!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know the least expensive place to buy a furminator? The price just kills me when I see it, but I guess if I don't want all the hair I best just invest.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Ditto on the Furminator! We use it on both dogs and the cat...it's amazing the amount of hair that comes off! I bought mine on eBay, but PetEdge also has them for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the furminator have a blade in it? Are there pieces that someone off of eBay may no longer have with it if I buy one from there? I hadn't even thought of eBay before.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
i guess you do need replacement blades in the long run but, i haven't replaced mine, and it still works great. I've had it for about 2 years. There ARE knock offs/imitators that probably work just as well, i got mine for 36 at a pet store that was closing down so i got lucky but there are cheaper versions out there if the price is a concern...i'm a firm believer that rarely is there an object that isn't reproduced by another company for a lower price and equal quality, so i'd look around you never know.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gale...thanks for the link. I am going to get one from there as soon as I get a paycheck. lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got confused - do Beagles normally blow their coat at some point during the year? Or is that just from making the transition from outside to inside?

(Oreo shed a lot his first couple months with me in the summer but I figured that was from the stress of moving and getting used to a new environment. He doesn't seem to shed that much nowadays).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally think it is just from being a total outside dog to becoming a mostly indoor dog now. My other beagles do shed, but they never seem to shed that bad.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wow I just went an ordered one. I've been eyeing them and was told from friends how wonderful they are, but didn't want to pay the $40. But with this price its worth it.

About the shedding I have a one lemon who is always shedding and one tri color who I never see shed. There not like a GSD or a longer haired dog, but they do shed with the seasons...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts