Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had started a thread a while back about how some beagles really hate having their nails trimmed. Someone at the time mentioned that it would be a good idea to start handling the dog's paws at an early age. This way the dog wouldn't be traumatized at nail trimming time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's what I've been doing with Banjo. The last time I trimmed his nails he was actually very good about it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke was paw-phobic by the time we got him at 11 weeks and no mater how hard I've tried, he will not let me near him with clippers or a file. Luckily, our walks keep his regular nails down pretty well, but the dewclaws are what need clipping. Then we go to Petsmart and ususally get the whole grooming since it's only $6 more than just a nail clip!

BTW......do your beags have dewclaws on the front and back paws? I wish Duke had his removed, but his breeder said he kept them on for hunters, I think it was for cheapness. Even then, I've never seen dews on the back paws, is this just a beagle or hound trait?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey doesn't have dew claws on her back legs, just the front. Sometimes when she jumps on me and that claw gets me good, I wish she didn't have them! Amber had one leg in the back with a dew claw but I had it removed when she was a puppy. It kind of dangled and the vet thought it would be safer to have it taken off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: Helpful advice for puppy owners Re: Handling

Banjo only has dew claws on the front legs, which I've heard are non-problematic. It's the hind legs that cause problems.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

Maggie has no dew claws front or back, they were removed when she was born. She goes on a 3-5 mile walk every day, so her nails stay nicely gound down. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to have to trim them...there is NO WAY she would sit still for it. Brushing her teeth takes two of us, and even that's not an easy feat!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Originally Posted By: Li'l MaggieBrushing her teeth takes two of us, and even that's not an easy feat!
Little tip on that one: try doing it after the long walk, when she is tired. Almost falling asleep. Do you use a toothpaste? I use poultry flavored one and Chloe likes it.
You can also let her play with the brush for a few mintues (while still holding it!!!!), so that she will get used to the its feeling in her mouth.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

I always have puppies dew claws removed when they're 2-3 days old - it's not a big deal then, but if you wait until they're older, it becomes a real surgical procedure. My vet charges $8 per puppy - whether it's front, back or both. It's a simple snip - they squeal (which probably hurts me more than them) when it's done, but as soon as they're put back with mom they're fine. The worst part for me was removing the tape he used to bandage them, but I finally convinced him to try the liquid bandage - which is so much better. Very few of the puppies born here have had rear dew claws, but they come off if they're there. It's just a precautionary measure - and I'd think especially for hunting dogs, they can get their dew claws caught on brush - and it's much better to have them removed than to have to deal with a torn claw later on.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

When the labs had pups, we had their dews removed when they were a few days old. I would love to have Duke's gone, but it's not worth putting him under for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts