Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been here for a while but we finally have a beagle. In fact we have 2. They are 9 week old sisters. House training is going nowhere. Is 9 weeks too young? We take them out and they do their business but within 15-20 minutes they go again without warning where ever they are standing. We give them a treat when they do their business outside, but it hasn't had any affect when they are inside. Any advice on house/paper training would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dwayne

·
Registered
421 Posts
be patient, no yelling or hitting when they get it wrong.
the more often you take them out, the more chances they have to get it right. when they go out, always go to the same exact spot. after a while, they will know what that place is for, and they will do it on arrival. mine do.

·
Registered
582 Posts
And only correct them while you catch them in the middle of going inside. If you find the mess after the fact and show it to them, they won't make the connection.
Try wiping it up with a paper towel, then place the towel outside in the spot where you want them to go. Leave it there and show it to them. Connect it to with a key word. We used “outsides” with ours.
9 weeks is a great time to start, but they are young, and beagles can take a while, but one day you'll suddenly realize, Hey! They don't go in the house anymore.
Be persistent and patient. Beagles are smart! They'll get it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Keep repeating to yourself, Patience is a virtue, and ultimate patience is waiting for a beagle to be housebroke. Yours are about the right age to really expect things to happen, but they are like babies, when their bladder is ready it's ready, and we have to wait for maturity to set in. With our oldest, he took awhile, because he was a little immature, as was his bladder muscles. But now, he would absolutely die if he did something inside. Casie on the other hand...who cares...he goes when he has to go, no matter where he is...it's a hard luck case.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got told to set a clock or timer and take my puppy out every half an hour, say yes when she went, praise her and give her a treat. It seemed to work. Once she hit about 11 weeks we started to take her out every hour. My cocker was toilet trained by the age of 13 weeks and my beagle was toilet traned by the age of 10 weeks. Difference being that my beagle had my cocker for guidence.

Patience is a virtue (which I dont have) and it will take time. They will suddenly get it right and you will want to shout it to the world! I did anyway!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Nine weeks is still really young. Start taking them out on a regular schedule as suggested above. You might want to take them out on leashes so they get they idea they are not just out for play time. Its a lot of work for a while but it pays off. Maggie was not really house trained until 5 months. There are slso some good discussions of crate training on this forum. You might find that helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Great advice so far, and I agree with Connie that nine weeks is still really young...their little bladders are still very small and immature. That doesn't mean that you should relax in whatever training method you choose, just be patient and consistent!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree with taking them out on a schedule.

Take them out every hour, after they have eaten, after they drink, after they wake up from a nap.

If you catch them toileting inside, wordlessly pick them up and put them outside and give big praise for them being in the right toilet spot. Give lots of praise when they do toilet outside.

Remember that at nine weeks they are only babies and they do not have the bladder control that they will once they are older.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Yeap, great advice from everyone, What i did was when i caught my pup goin inside i'd say No firmly and put them out in the yard by themselves (puppies hate to be alone, in your case i wouldn't put them both outside together...it would turn into play time) but sorta keeping an eye on them when they go on the grass and piddle open the door and praise , try to keep a good schedule. My friend who teaches obedience told me that usually how many months they are is how long they can hold it for example a 5 month old can hold it approx. five hours, 3 month old 3 hrs. etc. etc. keep that in mind. Personally tho i do potty trips every 3 hours with my pups regardless of age until their completely trained. Also try associating going to the bathroom with a word or phrase like do your business it will come SOOO in handy when and if you do road trips/camping or your just plain in a rush . they pretty much learn to go on command. Good luck!
Sounds like your going to have your hands full with two

1 - 9 of 9 Posts