Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This invisable fence thing is killing me!!!! Chloe is occasionally runnig through. She would wear the batteries down and off she would go so we bought a new collar for stubborn dogs. Well my house keeper saw her run right across the road,(55mph) she brought her back then we check the collar yup it works. I looked out later and she is in the neighbors yard. I grabbed my coat and shoes went to the neighbor no Chloe. They said they saw her go across the road. I went over and there she was in the back yard..... chasing chickens!!! She was not barking but the bird was clucking like mad and she just chased. She was right on it but did not bite at it just ran. The chickens owners where not worried about Chloe hurting the chicken they would attack her if she irrated them enough her Jack Russel learned by the chicken not taking it any longer. She was worried about Chloe crossing the road. But when she was chasing she shut me right out!! She didn't listen to my commands.Any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we tried that once the neighbors complained that she barked and howled all day long.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Yikes. I am not a fan of the invisible fences especially for hounds. Greyhounds will go right thru them so fast - they see something and off they go. Maybe the fence people have some training suggestions for you? I think the dog in the I-fence needs to be taught the yard boundaries as if the fence didn't exist.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I was told a long time ago... Invisible Fences do not work with beagles. Stubborn determination wins out. They get on a scent and blow through the shock line. The problem is, they are smart enough to know its gonna hurt coming back, so that deters them from returning.

A 6 foot, chain link fence with 1 foot buried is the best kind.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yep, I was told and I've read that the success with beagles and invisible fences are seldom. I would also recommend the dog run, but be sure to include stimulating toys and treats for Chloe to keep busy. A busy beagle is a quieter and happier beagle (not to mention that leads to a happier parent!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When she was in the kennel we did have toys for her and changed the toys frequantly to keep her busy. All she did was dig to get out and howl all day. Neighbors told us to quiet her or they were calling the town. We then did a high tie for her but she figured out how to slip out of the harness and run free. Then came the ivisable fence. We put it in ourselves. I use to use it with other dogs so I knew how to train or so I thought. With the other fenceing it was Invisable fence. They trained the dog to the boundry. It was a pain because you had to put the dogs in the car to get them out of the property. Even if its a walk. Well this time I thought to train her by the sound so she be able to for walks without getting in the car. Well I guess that is why you train to the boundry and not the sound. Now when we are gone she is always in the yard sleeping when we get home. There all day? Not sure. She flees when we are home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts