Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
Wow! It sounds like she definitely has some pent up energy that needs to be run off. Have you tried coaxing her with treats when you walk? I would say trying to figure out some way to release all her energy would help a lot.

When you crate her where do you put her crate? When she fusses do you just leave her or let her out? How does she respond to just going in the crate, is it a positive experience?

· Registered
884 Posts
As far as the walking is concerned, she's probably sensing how scared you are. I know how intimidating big dogs can be. Before I got married and moved out, I lived with my parents. They have two wonderful labs. One night when my dad and I were walking a neighbor was outside with his big dog. The dog started towards us (he was loose) and the neighbor said he was fine. The next thing we knew the dog was attacking one of the labs. Needless to say we ended up at the ER vet for stitches. After that I started carrying pepper spray or my stun gun when I walked. It made me feel like if some kind of attack were to happen I would be able to get control. If you're nervous about walking, Menolly is going to sense it. You might want to try taking another route. If that's not possible you could try getting someone to walk with you or walking with some pepper spray. OR you can try and simply conquer your fear and completely ignore the barking dogs. I've found that if we're walking and a dog is in their yard yapping, they aren't as bad if I just keep looking straight ahead and ignore them. I also try and get Daisy and Rocky to ignore them as well (not that easy LOL). Try not to think about the fact that you have a small dog (I know, easier said than done). Once you conquer your own fear that should help Menolly. If she's still nervous I would try taking some treats along or her favorite toy to encourage her. Honestly, I think the majority of the big dogs are probably all bark and no bite. One of my parents labs will bark her head off at dogs walking down the street, but she'd never hurt a fly. She just likes to bark when they're outside the fence and she's not.

Do you have any friends with dogs that you could walk with? It would probably help, especially if the friend's dog is a calm, confident dog.

It sounds like she may have some separation anxiety as well. I can't really give any advice because I've never had a dog like that. You could try getting a kong for her and letting her lick peanut butter out of it, some dogs do well with that distraction. We get bones from Publix (in the meat department) that our dogs absolutely LOVE. When they have those they barely move. LOL You can get them in various sizes and they're not too expensive. Our's will lick and chew on them even when there's no coating left. You can always talk to your vet and ask for suggestions too.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. The bright side is she'll probably grow out of at least some of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.