Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is getting fed up.
Menolly has thus far torn up the couch, Dad's favorite chair, my pillow, several towels, library books, school books, home books, both my nephew's sippy-cups, two Tupperware lids, the front blinds, and my thumb drive (which, amazingly, still works). It's not funny anymore and everyone is really, really mad. Even Mom, who has been my only ally through this, is fed up. She even told me today 'if you can't take care of your dog, maybe you shouldn't have one'
The most constant phrase in the house is 'Menolly, NO!'

I've tried everything; being calm, being angry, ignoring her, the spray bottle (The hose when she was outside and out of range), growling, 'dropping' her (as dad calls it), being gentle...NOTHING works. The rough correction she either thinks is a game or turns into a cowering puddle of jello. The light correction she completely ignores.
She's now been banished off the furniture permenantly. She spent almost all of today outside because Mom was the only one around and she had to watch my nephew (his mom- my sister -goes to college, too). Despite learning 'sit', 'down', 'come', and even 'stay' with fairly good dependancy, she's a boprn theif an steals everything that's not tied down. We put things up high, and that dog JUMPS. A 12 1/2 inch Beagle jumps so that she can reach everything on a 3 1/2 ft counter except what's right against the wall, and anything straight up to about four feet...and we're running out of shelves. She rarely tackles my nephew now, thank goodness, but will steal food from him...worse, he thinks it's funny to feed her his food.

I want to know what I'm doing wrong. I'm petrified that, since I still live at home, dad will say 'that's it; the dog goes'. and if he did my first impulse would be to say 'if she goes, I go', but I <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> nowhere to go. I'm stuck here until I get a steady job. (I have enough on-and-off odd jobs to support the dog, but nothing beyond that)
I can't take her for walks because every time we do, she either spooks at the cars and panics, or nails herself on a scent on the sidewalk and refuses to go any further. I can't watch her all day because I have school and, now, work. When she stays in the crate all day (we actually did it recently) she goes absolutely stir-crazy (ramming her head against the bars, clawing until her claws are ready to bleed) and I'm afraid she'll hurt herself.

I'm desperate. I CAN'T lose my dog again...I refuse to...but then I can't alienate my family either.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow! It sounds like she definitely has some pent up energy that needs to be run off. Have you tried coaxing her with treats when you walk? I would say trying to figure out some way to release all her energy would help a lot.

When you crate her where do you put her crate? When she fusses do you just leave her or let her out? How does she respond to just going in the crate, is it a positive experience?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Carrie, I'm so sorry to read that you're having so many problems with Menolly after waiting so long to get here. I'm sorry that I can't really offer any advice since it's been years since we've had a destructive dog. In our case, the dog was bored and once we put a dog door in so she could go out into the fenced yard at will, the problem was solved.

You said she spent most of today outside. If your yard is fenced, and she doesn't mind being out there, maybe you could keep her in the yard when you're not around to supervise her.

She is a puppy, and will grow out of this. Would you be able to take her to obedience training? From what other puppy owners have posted, that seems to be a big help.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy Daisy- Treats? Just once; I keep forgetting to take them along. Mostly she's scared of the big dogs in our neighborhood. To tell you the truth, so am I. I know they're just barking to bark, but some of them are huge, and a couple scare me half to death by peeking thier heads over the fence. One likes to jump; I don't want him jumping over his fence (he seems quite capable of it) and eating her up. Maybe owning a smaller dog has made me paranoid; I used to just ignore the big dogs.

She likes her crate- when the door is open. She sleeps there when I work at my desk and I've never used it for punishment. She just hates it when I leave her alone and close the door. When I've put her in there to keep her contained near bedtime, she cries for maybe five minutes then settles down. It's when I leave her there alone when she goes bananas. We did try moving the crate out in the living room but it didn't work. Joseph thinks the crate door is fun to open and close. I'd lock it, but then there's always the possibility of an emergency.

I would keep her out in the backyard, but she's starting to tear up the dog door when it's closed.

Sandy- Unfortunately I can't sign us up for obediance classes because they take two things: money and transportation. Both grant checks are delayed, and my first paycheck is going directly to dog food and school expenses. It doesn't help Dad works 6 days a week and there's only one car. My only other transportation is the bus, and her crate is too big to take. There used to be free classes at the park, but those stopped years ago and they weren't that good; just one day a week for four weeks of the basics. If something changes, you bet I'll take her to some classes.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As far as the walking is concerned, she's probably sensing how scared you are. I know how intimidating big dogs can be. Before I got married and moved out, I lived with my parents. They have two wonderful labs. One night when my dad and I were walking a neighbor was outside with his big dog. The dog started towards us (he was loose) and the neighbor said he was fine. The next thing we knew the dog was attacking one of the labs. Needless to say we ended up at the ER vet for stitches. After that I started carrying pepper spray or my stun gun when I walked. It made me feel like if some kind of attack were to happen I would be able to get control. If you're nervous about walking, Menolly is going to sense it. You might want to try taking another route. If that's not possible you could try getting someone to walk with you or walking with some pepper spray. OR you can try and simply conquer your fear and completely ignore the barking dogs. I've found that if we're walking and a dog is in their yard yapping, they aren't as bad if I just keep looking straight ahead and ignore them. I also try and get Daisy and Rocky to ignore them as well (not that easy LOL). Try not to think about the fact that you have a small dog (I know, easier said than done). Once you conquer your own fear that should help Menolly. If she's still nervous I would try taking some treats along or her favorite toy to encourage her. Honestly, I think the majority of the big dogs are probably all bark and no bite. One of my parents labs will bark her head off at dogs walking down the street, but she'd never hurt a fly. She just likes to bark when they're outside the fence and she's not.

Do you have any friends with dogs that you could walk with? It would probably help, especially if the friend's dog is a calm, confident dog.

It sounds like she may have some separation anxiety as well. I can't really give any advice because I've never had a dog like that. You could try getting a kong for her and letting her lick peanut butter out of it, some dogs do well with that distraction. We get bones from Publix (in the meat department) that our dogs absolutely LOVE. When they have those they barely move. LOL You can get them in various sizes and they're not too expensive. Our's will lick and chew on them even when there's no coating left. You can always talk to your vet and ask for suggestions too.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. The bright side is she'll probably grow out of at least some of it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I remember the 'no!' phase, it felt like that was all I said for a little while! she's testing you (and your family) and she will grow out of it
like someone else said it sounds as though she's got huge amounts of energy to burn off. i'd say stick to the walking, get her out a couple of times a day - it will give your family a break and get both of you used to the other dogs, and may help your relationship too. and i wouldn't worry if sometimes she doesn't seem to want to go very far and just keeps scenting - she's a beagle and that nose needs exercising too!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ok - first off, take a deep breath.

You say you've tried everything, maybe you are lacking in consistency? Chopping and changing methods will just make Menolly confused. Think of it as you giving her mixed signals.

Dogs need lots of exercise, both mentally and physically. Walk Menolly in the morning and in the afternoon, do 10 minute training session with her two-three times a day. Ensure you take treats on the walk, make a routine of it so you don't forget - and take high value treats, not things she gets everyday. Use things like sausage, cheese, kabana, cooked chicken meat etc. If you are fearful during your walks you can bet Menolly will pick up on it!

For your confidence I would recommend reading Cesar Milan's book Cesar's Way. There are some training methods I would leave (like alpha rolling), but overall the message the book gives is excellent and you will feel like there is a light bulb going off in your head when you read it.

ETA: I Would not be leaving her in her crate all day. She sounds bored and under stimulated mentally and physically, so putting her in the crate all day will make this worse.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had the same EXACT situation. im still living at home. i go to school in the morning and i work till 6 at night. diesel is at home usually alone but since my brother moved in he is acctually inside more... my mom said the same thing to me the dog has to go and just like you i said if the dog goes i go but as you, i have no where to go. lol.

BONES helped me so so so much.... rawhide or anything they can chew on. give it to her on a day when you are home with her all day. that way you can give her the bone when she goes for something that isnt hers. tell her no like always take away the object and replace it with a bone. make sure no one else plays with the bone or something that way she knows its hers and its good to chew/play with it.

i know its hard with parents not liking it but just sit down and talk to them.. ask them to HELP you not do it for you but help out in her learning process..

its a lot of work, i wont lie.. .but she will get it. dont get frustrated my puppy diesel is a year old and he still gets into things.

and just a thought... when diesel wants attention (from anyone) he will find somthing and take it. he wont distroy it unless you ignore him. but maybe that is why she is taking things is because she needs the attention. you are not home all the time niether is your dad. she can see your mom is home but she cant give her attention because she is watching children. so find a way to come home and see her. maybe at lunch or something just to run her energy out a little.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My motto is a tired dog is a good dog.

Do you have access to a treadmill at home or at a friends house? I have never tried it with Tucker but I hear they can be good to run off some excess energy.

I just thought of something else. We have a hard time with sniffing on walks too. Our neightbor took Tucker out and she just walked him down the middle of the street where there was less things to smell. I have since tried it and it does work. If they have less to smell and distract them, they walk better. I also have a game with Tucker but it requires him to sit and stay. I take him to a field, put him on a sit stay, then walk 30 to 40 yards away and give him the come command. He just runs to me. After a few times he gets tired. That might be hard with a puppy, but it might work if you had a friend to help you with the stay part.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I walked her on a different route this morning and it worked quite well. I'm going to walk her again in about 15 minutes. I don't know if I'll be able to walk her in the morning every day; I wake up at five AM to go to college and then don't get home until about three. The streets are well-lit, but walking alone early in the morning makes me nervous. Maybe I'll gop down to Miltary Surplus and snag some pepper spray. My job is on 'off' days when I don't have school and with that I work until after six. (Mom has to feed her supper those days) I'll work on doing the training sessions more often; so far it's only been once a day. And now that I have a little extra money, I will look into more chews for her.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Glad your new route helped!! Good luck! you can always ask more questions here

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rather than saying No (which from what I've read is the most overused word in a beagle owners vocabulary) we specifically say - don't bite, don't chew, don't dig. So rather than hearing no all the time there's some variety.

Exercise is huge...our pup does not like to go out when it rains (don't blame him!) and I can see a difference in his personality when we're not able to walk him. We try to play games with his tennis ball and other toys. Another great activity is to put some wet dog food into a kong and freeze it. It's great for teething pups (the cold) and stimulates their mind as they need to figure how to get the food out. Plus the kong bounces all over the place so there's some exercise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts