Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beagle Buddy is just over 4 years old.He is an extremely anxious boy and always as been.My granddaughter is 10 mths old and as always lives with us and since shes started crawling buddy is concerning me.
There is a safety gate between where the baby is and where buddy is but when she crawls towards the gate he will growl and snap at her and she hasnt done anything.I really dont know what to do,i am in constant panic if she puts her hands thru he will bite her.He as bitten another child in the past and i really dont know what to do..
Some
Advice would be great..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
IF you decide to keep Buddy - and with a dog with a child bite history and a young grandchild, I'd be considering all options - you need a professional trainer to come to your home to assess Buddy and come up with a plan. I know that tough now with COVID, but people online can't see Buddy and aren't who you should be relying on for advice.

I hope you can figure out a way forward.

Reactions: buddy2

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Have you tried introducing the dog to the child? Let the dog sniff and let the child pet.. of course monitor this closely. It could be since the dog is blocked from the child the dog is mostly curious. Sit with the child and have the dog explore the child... my dog was over active with my grandchild because my husband was concerned and tried to keep them apart. Once Cassie interacted with my granddaughter she moved on to other things.. give it a try. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If their dog has bit a child before, I don't agree with introducing them until a professional assesses.

Reactions: Kali
1 - 5 of 5 Posts