Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie is a wonderful 1/2 year old male rescue beagle. We know that for the first six months of his life he was crated 24/7. He is becoming more loving and is wonderful with other dogs, strangers, and especially young children. Loves the attention and petting when he goes for a walk. Never even a hint of aggression with other people or dogs.

But Charlie turns into another dog when we try to pick him up. It's even worse when we go to bed. Charlie sleeps under the covers. If we try to move him after he has gone to sleep he sometimes responds very aggressively. It's like another dog took his place. I understand sleeping in the bed is a privilege to be earned, but trying to get him to get off the bed just increases the hostility. If I tell him a very strong "No", scolding him, he becomes totally submissive. But he still won't leave the bed without a fight.

Sometimes the aggression is so strong he's a bit scary. We love him, give him lots of attention and praise and the behavior is not every night. But when it is there it's very strong.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Definitely the privilege has to be earned.. but Charlie has not earned it. I would make him sleep in HIS bed ..not on your bed. If this causes him to get aggitated wanting to be on your bed then I would put him in another room for the night. Curb the behavior now or this will be a long time issue. My dog sleeps in the dinning room. She has the choice of a crate or bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. We chose not to use a crate because he was trapped in a crate for so many months as a puppy. It would take some patience to have Charlie sleep in another room. He has some high attachment issues and doesn't like being out of our sight. However, we are open to any solution.

But how do you communicate when he has earned the privilege to sleep in our bed? Do we put him in another room only when he acts out, or do we just move his bed to another room? Not sure what this process might look like.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I give my dog a small treat when she goes in her crate or bed. Did you notice my dog's crate door was not closed.. she loves her crate and goes in on her own.. all i have to say is.."CRATE"
.. and she know I have a treat in my hand she runs to it and practically takes a dive in to it. I recommend a Clicker...when the dog goes in the crate or his bed.. click the clicker.. the sound is the reward.. watch YouTube videos on how to use one.. buy a clicker at the petstore

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We will definitely give the clicker and crate a try. Charlie is the first beagle we have had that is not food driven.

And I just realized I gave Charlie's age wrong. He is about 2 1/2 years old. We got Charlie when he was 9 months old so he has been sleeping in the bed for about a year and a half. Does that make a difference?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
My dog is 8.9 yrs old.. ive had her from 8 weeks. shes been in the crate with the door closed for several yrs.. then she didnt want to do that so I put her dog bed on my bed and made her sleep in her bed ...that worked for about a year
Then... she went to her crate and slept again in it but with the door open. So thats where shes been sleeping now without any issue. I close the kitchen door so she cant wander. I dont want her back on my bed...
If things arent working you could consider about putting a dog bed at the bottom of your bed and make him stay in it at night... not allowing him to own the bed and sprawl where he wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts