Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there -

I rescued a new beagle just over a week ago. While she is a wonderful puppy she is an incessant licker. I did not have this with my previous beagle baby. Lucy licks everything from the comforter to the cat to electronics which makes me worry for her safety. I try to redirect her behavior with a toy or a bone, but she goes right back to licking. What are the chances this will subside once she has settled in more? Are there any other ideas to help reduce the amount of licking that is going on?

THanks
Vanessa

·
Registered
504 Posts
it could be a sign of a nutritional deficiency, like insufficient intake of a certain vitamin or mineral. It is not normal for dogs to lick everything or even themselves obsessively, so you may want to consult your veterinarian on this problem.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker loves to lick people, luckily not faces. We have not been able to figure out how to get him to stop. We are thinking it is related to anxiety, but not really sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI there-

Thanks for the suggestions. Last night we had our free exam at our vet since the humane society didn't give her the rabies vaccine. The vet suggested it might be anxiety associated to moving so much in the last year. ( first owner 7 months, 2nd owner 3 months) and then being a stray. She is better with constant attention or rawhides. I will wait it out and hope that she adjusts to her new surroundings. She and cat are now almost friends too so that should help.

Thanks again

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just remember to take caution with rawhides, they can cause health issues and blockages/tears in a dogs intestines. They should never be left alone with them as well. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is a rescue and she is a licker also. She loves to lick me if I just put on lotion but she will also rush to me and start licking my arms and hands if she gets disciplined (so I figure its from anxiety). Last night she really licked the arm of a reclining chair - she was upset because I was on the PC and not with her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My first Beagle was a licker, he licked the couch, the floor, everything! It was due to anxiety, he too was a rescue. I started spraying bitter apple on everything and the first time he got a taste of that I got a very dirty look, but it cut it down quite a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts