Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maggie got a bath today, and trying to get her collar back on was a nightmare :grr: . Treats didn't work at all! She wears it all the time (along with a harness). Does anyone else have a problem with this?

We have been through a ear infection that we administered the drops using a peanut butter filled kong two sets of hands, but now we are trying to do eye drops (3x a day). She will pull away and claw and wiggle out of our hands when we try to touch her head.

I would be happy getting it in 1x a day at this point. We have a check up on Friday to see how the eye is doing and I am afraid the vet is gonna tell me to continue to give eye drops. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I know she is just being a puppy but any ideas on how to make this a little easier on both of us?

Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, you said it: she is a puppy... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I personally don't put Chloe's collar on all the time, just for walks.

Maybe you should try playing with her. Combine putting on and removing the collar and treat her when she is good. I assume she is food motivated, after all, she is a beagle. Always try doing those things when she is calm and not excited, praise a good behavior and ignore a bad behavior. About the eye drops, just get her used to you touching her all over, nails, mouth (for teeth brushing), tummy, butt, eyes, ears. She is still a very very young puppy and you can solve many future problems before they even start by doing so. It will get better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I usually leave arty's collar off when he's at home and only put it on when we're going for a walk. He's associated the sound of the dangling ID badges from his collar to "walk time! time for beagle fun!!" so everytime he hears it he's super excited and will even kneel down (where he lays on his front paws) so i can get his collar on.

As far as eyedrops and medications - I've had best luck when i do it when they're exhausted. So maybe you can take your little pup out for a long walk or a lot of running to wear her out enough so she doesnt have too much energy to fight back?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Not sure if this will help with your Maggie with regard to the eye drops but ... I have had no problem putting drops in Maggie's right eye but, for some reason, she does not like me coming near her left eye. Turns out that, if I come in from the side of her eye rather than over the top of her head, she is fine! Just a little thing but it works with my Maggie.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i would try putting it on after he is calm and dry. i let diesel calm down and lay by our fire place to dry off. after he is laying down for a bit i then put the collar on he does not like it but he is just being to lazy to move

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Maggie will just have to have a runny eye. She doesn't mind us playing with her feet or her ears (usually) but the eye is a big issue. We go to the vet on Friday for a check up and I will talk to her more about it. Thanks for the suggestions. Ill let you know if I find something that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts