Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maggie is now three months old, and we've had her a little over a month now. Unfortunately, we put her in the crate the first night we got her, but her pityful crying got her out of it in lesss than an hour. She has slept with us in bed since that first night, and the crate has since been put away.

My husband and I both work full-time, but so far Maggie has not been left alone for more than an hour or two at a time, as one or both of my sons are usually home during the day.

We've been trying really hard to potty train her by taking her outside to go potty at least once every hour and rewarding her with both a treat and praise every time she does goes outside. But nothing so far seems to be working...I really don't think she has a clue that it's not OK to potty inside.

I know her bladder is developing, as she is now able to hold it all night, without getting up. Daytime however, is another story. I keep reading that many of you potty trained your beagles with the crate, but I'm wondering if it's too late for me to begin crate training with Maggie. Also, how does putting a puppy in a crate facilitate potty training?

I really need help with this crate training dilemma, as I'm afraid that it might me too late to start now. Plus, I'm not really sure I want her sleeping in it at night, as we enjoy having her in bed with us. HELP!!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy doesn't sleep in her crate, she sleeps with us. She is crated during the day while we work and I just don't want her in there all night too. She has got the idea that it is not ok to go inside, but sometimes she just can't hold it. She will be 5 months tomorrow and still goes out about once an hour. She has made it as long as 1 1/2 hours but that's only been a few times. She goes longer at night, so I'm hoping that she will start to stretch out that time soon.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aliesha - How many hours is Daisy in her crate during the day? Do you put food, water, and toys in the crate with her, and is she able to go all day without going potty in her crate?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
She is in there for about 3 to 4 hours in the morning, then my mother in law comes over for a while to let her out and play. Then she goes back in for 3 or 4 more hours until we get home. Most of the time she is fine, but she has had a couple of accidents. Typically though she is fine, and the accidents that she has had were probably my fault for not making sure she is completely done pottying before I bring her in and crate her.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are you giving her too much room inside the crate? Dogs typically don't like to go to the bathroom where they sleep so you have to block any excess room inside the crate, leaving them only enough room to lie down in. That can take a little creativity on your part because they are pretty smart at finding their way around the barricades. I had this happen just a couple months ago with my daughter's boyfriends GSD puppy. Max spent about a week with us and I had put a large cardboard box in the crate to take up space and when I looked in the crate one morning - no puppy. He had managed to get back behind the box. Scared the heck out of me!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I much prefer the umbilicle over the crate for potty training, only because I find the puppy ends up spending all of their time in the crate at first and it is not fair. You can leash the dog to your waist, that way you know where she is at all times. We hung a bird bell on the door and every time we brought the dog out, we rant the bell with their paw. Did the praise thing and the treats and then back in. We also taught our dogs the "go pee" command, come is really handy!! Within a couple days, Spencer was ringing the bell on his own. The only rule is, when they ring the bell, you HAVE to take them out every time, even if they just went out seconds earlier. They need to learn that this is the sign for wanting out. Even if it is just for a minute or two, if they don't go, leash them back to your waist and inside you go. Potty training a puppy is a lot of work and eventually, something will just click with her.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
We never crated trained for potty training. The best way to housebreak your puppy is to teach her to go OUTSIDE to pee and poop. The idea being crate training to prevent peeing/pooping inside is that a dog will not pee or poop where it sleeps (or something like that).

I crate trained Abby right after we got her (so about 3 1/2-4 months old). I posted HERE in Health & Welfare describing how I did it, though I'm not sure it will help you since your issue seems to be peeing related.

Now Abby is almost 3 years, has been crate trained for a looong time. She use to sleep in the crate at night, but for about the past year or so she's either slept with Rebecca or us (which I like a lot). She has no problems with her crate, at all, and we still crate her when we leave the house.

The only advice I can give you regarding the peeing problem is this: Do NOT teach your pup that it is "OK" to pee (or poop) in the house, at any time, for any reason...including "pee pads"....that is very, very difficult to untrain. Second, it may just take some time, after all she's still a "baby" but continue to be consistent & loving (the absolute most important thing!!) in her housebreaking and sooner or later she'll "get it" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Registered
168 Posts
I leave Marco in the crate during the day while I work and he sleeps with me at night. H knows he's supposed to go outside but he still has accidents in the house. I soo have keep an eye on him and it's hard, sometimes crating is the best thing if you can't supervise all the time. She will get used to her crate and it will become her little resting place after a while.

Marco will rather be outside all the time of course, but even he whines and cries for a couple minutes he'll stop and be fine. Of course Maggie might cry for longer but she'll stop, just make sure she gets some play time and gets a little tired before going in :-/. When I leave for work at 7:15 I'll leave his toys and just a little bit of water. He usually eats all his food like an hour before that and I make sure he pees and poops before going in the crate. When I come home for lunch at 11:20am he will have like one pee accident. My mom will probably come home about 2:30-3pm and sometimes he has no accidents. For the rest of the day, we'll make sure he gets both supervised play time inside the house and crate time and he is taken out about every 2 hours. He takes several naps that really is not that much time inside that crate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.