Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Well...I think we are going to add to our pack by adopting a 10 week pup. I'm really worried about our 3 year old beagle, Wyatt. He is my baby and I'm worried that bringing in the new pup will hurt his feelings. I know it's silly, but it breaks my heart to think that he would be upset with another dog in the house. I'm also worried that the bond my hubby and I have made with Wyatt will never be the same again. Any and all advice regarding my fears and ideas on how to intro the new pup is GREATLY appreciated!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Nathan, Amy and Wyatt

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't have anything to offer, but I just read your last post and just knew.........

You would be a new Puppy Daddy soon! Congrats!

·
Registered
439 Posts
well, i think his feelings will be a lil hurt at first. expectedly so. mom and dad are playing with another dog type of thing.
but dont worry. you giving him a play mate and he dont understand the positives as of yet.
as far as losing the bond, no way.
think of all the new fun and enjoyment your about to create for the 3 of you. there will be new activities,heightened old activities, and lots of new memories to create. the bond can only grow as your family grows. you and your husband will delight in watching those two do the things that beagles do.so dont worry about it. good things are just around the corner for you and your family. relax,take a deep breath, and go for it!
you'll be glad you did, and wyatt will love you even more for it in a month or two at the most.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Make sure they meet on neutral ground and take a little walk together (very little with a small puppy). Let the puppy go into the house first and sniff around. Then let Wyatt go in with his leash trailing. Make sure there are lots of treats involved so positive feelings are associated with the puppy. Hopefully there will be no scraps, but if there are take them away from each other and slowly bring them back together with Wyatt getting loads of treats and distractions. Let Wyatt sniff puppies butt. Usually older dogs know a puppy is harmless and will not see him as a threat, but Wyatt may be a bit jealous off the start. Don't pay him any less attention or any more than you normally would. Make sure for the first week there is not toys that would cause a huge fight like a stuffed kong lying around to start a fight.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
It is best to pair an elder/well established hound with a younger one. Elder Duke loved Goober when he was a pup...but 5 yr old Rufus & 1 yr old Nibbler wanted to kill each other at first! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif (With some encouragement)...Nibbler learned that Rufus was the "top dog" & soon became "best buds"! Goober was 10 yrs old when "Homer-the-Huge was adopted & despite the fact that Homer soon grew to more than twice his size,,,Homer knows that Goober is my "second in command" by how I treat him. I do not like to "play favourites"...but that is how things work in the dog world! Homer & Nibbler know their standing in the "pack" & are very protective of Goober & Rufus! :thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we decided to get the little guy, and pick him up on Saturday morning. He's ten weeks old, and seems to be in good health according to the vet. We'll post more info as we get it, and probably pictures as well.

Should be fun! Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday will soon be together again!

·
Registered
291 Posts
You guys must be so excited! Be sure to share pictures of Doc and Wyatt together when you get a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts