Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Its been a long time since i been on this forum. I had a beagle last yr this time but had to have surgery and the foster family got very attached to my puppy. Therefore i made the greatest sacrifice and let them keep my puppy, since i was still in recovery after 4 months. However im in great health now and things have a way of working out...

I recently met a neighbor that is fostering a beagle girl name Bella, 8months old. The outlook is good on me bringing her home this weekend. However I have a question. Is it possible to Crate Train a beagle if its never been trained b4 and its 8 months old now? Her foster mom said she is good and at nite sleeps with her...which i love! but when im out at school for 4 hours i wonder if i need to crate train her or is keeping her confined to my room or the den okay till i get back.
Any help will be appreciated

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome back! It's good to hear that you're feeling better.
I think its completely possible to crate train at that age. You should probably give it a try, do it gradually over a long weekend or so. See if it works out, if not, you can always confine her.

Would love to see pictures of the little gem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i will try then. I'm just really nervous about letting her roam free in the big house with my 2 new kittens.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad you're feeling better now.
back. I adopted my Li'l Girl when she was a year or more old. There was no history for her, so I don't know what she'd experienced before coming to us. Indications were, though, that she'd probably been an outside dog. All this leads up to my saying that we did crate her for awhile, and had no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
889 Posts
As long as you make the crate a fun place to be. Eg: feed your pup in there and give plenty of treats in there etc. Soon you pup will want to spend time in the crate and be happy to do so.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We adopted our two last year from the humane society. They were probably outside dogs but did fine with the crate. We crated them whenever we were gone for about 6 or 7 months. After just one or two months we started letting them sleep with us at night. Now they are free to roam the house whenever they want, but we leave their crate out and open because even now they'll go sleep in it sometimes. I think crating is a good thing as long as it's a positive experience. We didn't ever use it as a punishment so they never associated anything negative with it. Good luck and welcome back!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone. I will be attempting to use the crate with Bella. Question though...Where in the house is a good place to put her crate? Or where did you put yours and found success?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.