Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bo who is a little over a year old, i got from someone that took him from someone else, nothing they said abt him was true. I just had him with a top trainer for 5 months (he was boarded there) and he STILL is not potty trained,. he went there for other behavior issues which he does his commands pretty well (still stubborn and has to tell him several times) i take him out after he eats but sometimes he will wait up to 12 hrs to poopy, if i take him out every 1/2 her after he eats nothing, i did make a mistake and fell asleep before i put him in crate, and when i got up there was his poopy!!! uggh,,,,so stubborn,. anyone else dealing with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
You're going to have to start as if the dog is a puppy
1. Take your dog out every few hours ON A LEASH and say ...go peepee ( or such). I say it for both pee and poop.
2. Get a Clicker at a petstore and use it Every time you take your dog out. Click it when your dog does biz...and praise big time!
3. Take your dog out before nightime...ON A LEASH.
4. Take your dog out during the night...ON A LEASH. my dog will bark or yelp during the night if she needs to go out... dont ignore your dog's potty needs or it will mess in the crate.
5. Watch YouTube videos on how to use a clicker which is a cheap great training tool.
6. Consistency and patience is key to get improvement .

Did the trainer tell you she got the dog potty trained?
The dog needs to get potty trained at your house.
From your picture I see the dog is on carpet. Dont give your dog freedom in the house until this potty issue is resolved . Any tiled area to keep your dog?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advise, i do take him almost every 30 min. after he eats. problem is he is not consitent, some times it will be a whole 24 hrs before he goes, other times its a few hours. Yes, we have green carpet!! maybe he thinks its grass!!! The trainer said he would go 10 days in a row with not doing anything in the house, and then all of a sudden start again. He has went outside a few times since i have had him back, i do praise big time and give a treat if i have it on me, trainer thinks i should get him neutered (will be going thurs for this) and maybe it would help . it also seems like he will wait until i am out of the room, and then he does his thing!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a clicker, I am doing the good boy with a treat reward. Gee forgive me for not answering everything,. your post seems a little aggressive.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Have you taken him to a vet to rule out medical causes? Peeing could be a UTI, and I had a female German Shepherd with hip dysplasia who would also poop in her crate. She started losing control of her bowels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He does not pee in the house only poopy, last two days he has went outside but has had accidents in the house, he did same thing with trainer, he seems to do it when he thinks no one is looking! he is going to vet on thurs for his routine check up and to be neutered

·
Registered
75 Posts
how many times a day do you feed him and when? i feed milo 2 cups once a day at 3:30pm give or take an hour from when he was 6 months the time of day isn't so important just stick to the same time that works for you. with the high quality food these days they dont get the same amount as say 20 yrs ago 2 cups vs 4 so there belly isn't getting full if you split it up so it doesn't trip the poopy trigger. thats just my 2 cents and it works for us good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i feed him twice a day. around 5am and 4pm i start taking him out an hour later, and then every hr. sometimes he does it and other times he does not. he gives no warnings that he needs to go out. i do not know what his previous owners did, but potty traing was not on the list! when he does do it outside we praise alot. last night he was in the front room right in the same spot he did it before and did it again. i spray the area with vinegar (heard they would not go there ) but he did! sigh he is 1 1//2 years old

·
Registered
982 Posts
How much exercise does he get? Mine sometimes need a walk to get things moving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Start from scratch....go out ON LEASH before and after: eating, sleeping, training, playing, and every x amount of time. ONLY potty time outside on leash, if success reward with tiny cookie. No success back in house. Never free time outside until he gets it. No pee pads inside, maybe outside. If he poops outside leave it there for a day for scent. If he poops inside, and you catch him in the act, grab him and run him outside, if he finishes PRAISE, and COOKIE time. Treat him like a puppy and stretch the time with progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts