Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i just got an 8 week old beagle pure bred. mom is classic tri & dad is akc registered stud. my question is about my puppy. i dont know if i got conned but his face does not look like the classic beagle. he has all the classic beagle features; black sattle, big ears, follows his nose, but his face/colors worry me. instead of having the classic brown around face it is mostly black with a some white by the snout and his little brown eyebrows much like a rott. do beagles normal have black faces like this? sorry for the horrible description and grammer. i am aware of color change in beagles and know he is still young. please help with any insight or info.

i will post a picture as soon as i figure out how..sorry new member
thank you :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Without a pic it's hard to say, but I wouldn't worry too much. Beagles don't have a set pattern - for example my boy (who's family are all top pedigree show-dogs) doesn't have the stripe up the middle of his forehead. Also as a pup, his markings were rather different from the way they are now, and much darker:

Are you planning to register him with the AKC? Did the breeder give you his paperwork? I don't know about the AKC, but in the UK, you always get the documents you need and sometimes (depending on the breeder) a copy of the five-generation pedigree.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
without a pic it's hard to say, but i wouldn't worry too much. Beagles don't have a set pattern - for example my boy (who's family are all top pedigree show-dogs) doesn't have the stripe up the middle of his forehead. Also as a pup, his markings were rather different from the way they are now, and much darker:

are you planning to register him with the akc? Did the breeder give you his paperwork? I don't know about the akc, but in the uk, you always get the documents you need and sometimes (depending on the breeder) a copy of the five-generation pedigree.
the guys is suppose to send me the paper work through the male real soon here is a picture

·
Registered
114 Posts
gack he is adorable.
he looks all beagle to me... but I am not an expert. I would look at English beagle comparatively and see the colouring. It certainly will change as he ages.
Have you had puppies before?
Their faces really change in the first 16 weeks as the nose comes out and the forehead changes etc etc.... You can almost watch them grow and change right in front of you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ohhhh well that explains it. :)
They change sooooooo much, noses grow, ears change, eyebrows change.....my goodness it is a lot of worry though.
I would see if there is someone in your area, a good positive trainer or positive animal behavourist and ask questions.
Ask them here as well.....there is lots to learn.

I would encourage you to read lots and lots, and check out this page of adorable puppies to compare.. images of tri beagle puppies - Google Search

Also talk to the breeder with any questions.A good breeder will help you settle in and get comfy with your new baby.

Keep up posted and please... more pics :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is amazing how they're colors change as they age. When I brought Buddy home his ears were black with tan edges and his face was tan with a black forehead

Now two years later both his ears and forehead have lost the black and are all tan except for two little black spots behind each eye.

Take lots of pictures as he grows. He'll only be little once and you'll be surprised at how much he changes as he grows.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
They do change some as they grow. Dillon's face was mostly black and his ears were black when I got him but is getting more reddish brown in the ears and the face. He will be a year old March 22, and I believe eventually his ears will be all brownish red as well as the top of his head. Beagles do come in many different color pattern variations, though, which I think is good. It will be dull if they all were marked exactly alike! He looks all Beagle to me and he is very cute!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my beagle tight now. When we got him, he was so black, and as he grew, I noticed a huge color change.
This is Remi. He is 4 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts