Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Please

Hi all,Timber is now around 16 weeks old and she has still alot too learn. I havn't reached the point where i can begin to appriciate what she can give to me in return for all the time, effort and money we fork out on her but that will come ... hopefully.

First BIG problem is ...

How the hell can i toilet train her.

Here's the situation. She has her crate, which she sleeps in at night.

A room which is her's for when she takes a nap and when we cant look after her.

A run in the garden. Fully fenced off, concrete zone and kennel.

Now here's a typical day. She wakes up, goes outside first thing and goes to the toilet, if she doesn't wait until she has had breakfast and then take her outside to the toilet. We always praise her and say good job when she does.

Then she will go in her room for a nap after a long walk. In her room, there is paper at the back that she goes to the toilet on.

And during the day i will get her out and she will come around the house with me. Sit in here with me well im on the computer or in the conservatory - lets use that as an example. She will sit there on the couch watching me play on my ps3 and i will give her occasional cuddles but she just likes to flop out on the couch. Now i put paper by the door. But she obviously gets up alot and sniffs around. Then she goes for a wee on an extreamily expensive rug in the middle of the room without allerting me or anything. Then later on she goes on the sofa she lies on, again she just goes for a wee when she feels like it.

I seriously need help with this, because as soon as we have cracked this then she can spend alot more time just wondering around the house with all the family, not just when we are able to watch her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Help Please

At four months, she's still a baby. Jersey wasn't allerting me regularly to go out until she was about 6 months old and was close to a year before she was reliably housetrained. You say you see her sniff around, take her out immediately when you see her sniffing. She may not have to go every time, but there will be times when she has to go. Bring some treats outside with you and give her one immediately after she pees. It's a long process sometimes, but she'll learn. Make sure that you're cleaning up her accident with a good enzyme based cleaner like Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle (don't know if those brands are available in the UK, but I'm sure there is a comprable product for you). Something like that will clean up the spot as well as break down the urine itself so the dog doesn't smell it anymore. I know it's frustrating, but just stay patient. Timber will eventually get the hang of things.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I agree with Jen. Also, she probably does give you signs before she squats for pee, but you just didn't learn to recognize those. First, the sniffing: I know, Beagles sniff a LOT, but when she gets up to sniff, 99% is that she needs to pee. Secondly, watch her when she sniffs, she will most likely circle a little bit.
Everytime she gets up after laying next to you, or plays and then stops playing and moves a little to the side, quickly pick her up and take her outside. When she goes potty, praise her like there's no tomorrow, more than good job, make a really big deal of it.

It sounds like she is heading in the right direction, you should just learn how to read her and follow the signs. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts

Daisy will be 8 months tomorrow and still isn't 100% trustworthy but she is A LOT better than she was at 4 months. Timber is still a little pup, so even though it's hard have patience.

Also, maybe the papers are confusing? Maybe with the papers being in the house Timber thinks that the whole place is a potty?? Just a thought. I tried pads with Daisy and she peed everywhere. Once I gave those up she got better about realizing that the house wasn't her potty.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Molly, our three month old has made a lot of progress since we put up a bell by the door, low enough for her to reach, that she rings when she needs to go out. When we first got it, we kicked it every time we took her out and we took her out every hour except at night, when she was in her crate. We aren't paper training her so we taker her out all the time, now about once every two hours or every time she gets up from a nap, or has a really intense play session. This can work for us because I am a student and have more time at home than a lot of people.

The bell is really helpful. She learned to ring it in about a week. At first she thought it was a toy and just wanted to play with it, but we were pretty good about taking her out every time she rang it and took her to her potty spot and kept her there until she peed or about 10 minutes to make sure she didn't have to. She figured it out pretty quickly and it makes our job easier because we know when she has to go. Of course we also watch her like a hawk and only allow her in the kitchen and living room.

Anyway, good luck! Try a bell, it might work. And of course we praise her to high heaven when she does go outside.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

Puppy pads also became shredding with Duke. It took a full 6 months to really be able to say he was trained. You'll get there, just hang in and be consistent.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

Hi Peter...I've been wondering how you and Timber are doing!

Great advice so far, but I would just like to reiterate that Timber is still quite young, and although some dogs can be completely potty trained at 4 months of age, I don't really think it's the norm. Like the others have said, be patient and consistent with your training, and really try to hone in on those signs and signals that she needs to go. Good luck, and hang in there!

·
Registered
193 Posts

Hi Peter

Get rid of the paper as you are telling her it is OK to go in the house.She does not know the difference between paper and a rug.
16 weeks is still very young and she still needs to be watched while she is awake.
When she is with you keep an eye on her and take her out often,praising her when she does perform.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts