Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mocha is now about 9 weeks, and I know she is probably teething and her gums are sore /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif , but she is really a biter. Whenever she plays, she is constantly biting our hands, legs, feet, whatever she can get her mouth on. I try and say no, no biting, or 'ouch', but she just has so much energy :animal18: , it seems like it's not setting in. I don't mind it so much cause I know it's play biting, but I don't want her always biting when other people or kids are playing with her. Any advice on getting her to stop???

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It sounds to me like you are doing the right things.

Stay consistent and when she bites and you say "OUCH" and walk away, mean it !

I only say that because it sounds like a problem I would have. Hard to turn away from a beagle face. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We said "No bite!" to ours when they were puppies. Wow, it is hard to remember those puppy days now that ours are 7 years old.

Sounds like you are doing right, it just takes time for them to get it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Instead of saying ouch try growling at her and leave the area. Saying ouch is like her siblings at play, but growling is something a mom does when inappropriate playing takes place. Then play time stops and puppy knows they have done something really bad.

·
Registered
439 Posts
play biting is a fact of life. you cant say "its ok to play bite me, but not the kids". ect ect ect. all my dogs knew the word "easy". it has several meanings to them, but all close to the same. if we are play fighting and the bites are getting a little hard "eeeeasyyyy". they would settle down a bit. if it continued with my index finger i kinda hammered (not to hard) it on the hard part of their nose while holding their mouth closed with the other."easyyy". ya gotta use you athority voice. if it continued after that i grabbed their mouth shut
"NO". and the fun was over for a bit.
i start them off at your pup's age on this. they get it rather quickly. dont use your "sweet voice", which is a common mistake in training a puppy. dogs know voice inflections.
now when they are older, pulling on the leash gets an "easyyy", in my athority voice. it stops for the most part.(beagles are hard headed ya know) jumping up and trying to knock the dinner bowel out of my had,"easyy", no more. i see the excitment building "easyyy". its over. its like when you were a kid, you knew the athority voice ment business.a squirt gun comes in handy too while training the pup's.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree with growling. It's a way for them to understand in "dog language". Growl, then walk away. Your pup should eventually learn that what he's done is not appropriate.

·
Registered
794 Posts
something that works for Polly (she's about 7 months old) is "a sharp intake breath" (I can't figure out how to type it!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif )
I accidentally figured it out one day, it really does stop her in her tracks--then she just starts licking.
Just don't hyperventilate! :hysterical:

Oh, I keep the Rawhide Companies in business, too... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I tried holding Mizu's mouth shut and telling him "NO". I also say ouch really loud.. but Mizu just stares at me and will continue to bite me.
Today after he went potty he was grabbing on my sweats and jumping on my leg, he grabs a hold tight & will bite. I tell him no. He almost pulled my pants down!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts