Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys! Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I need help. I am trying to figure out how to make sure I am getting the right type of beagle because there are two different types: one with longer nose and one with shorter. The latter is what I want but I am not sure how to be sure I am getting this particular one since it's hard to tell when the dog is stil a puppy. What should I know, what to ask a breeder, how to make a breeder won't cheat...
Also, I am thinking of buying a beagle puppy from the U.K. Is there anyone who happens to know a good breeder/seller there, maybe even in London?
Thank you guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I read it and now it is prety much clear. But there's one more thing I need to ask: is the first picture I attached shows the so called "field beagle" and the second one "show beagle"?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
VD,

Let me ask... Is there a specific reason why you ask this? Are you planning on showing the beagle or is it just a personal preference.

Just curious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Murphy's Dad,

This is totaly personal preference. I don't know why but the show beagles look more like my type, that's all. And also, since I still don't know much about beagles, I am willing to learn as much as possible before actually getting a dog. I want to be fully prepared because I want to be the perfect beagle mom /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
It's great you're doing your homework about beagles! I didn'r know anything about beagles before we got my Shiloh, and I think it would have helped things go a bit smoother when she was a puppy if I'd known what to expect. :smack:
As far as the 2 pictures you posted go, I have a feeling the first one is the show dog, just because s/he looks more petite. But I don't know--they're both beautiful beags!
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Here's a few things about beagles (well mine anyways /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

- Stubborn (but quick learner, just need to be constistent with training)
- Very smart
- Energetic (loves to play, run, walk)
- Mischevious/Curious
- Lovable (loves to cuddle when he's tired)
- Fun little pup :thumbup:
- Watch their food intake, they'll eat anything in their path and it is hard to resist the sad little beagle eyes that scream "I haven't eaten in days, please let me have some of that cheeseburger". Try not to fall for it.

Great dogs, just make sure that it's the right fit for you and your family.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Beagles are the best breed out there. Keep in mind though that beagle puppies can be HARD. They can destroy your house and make you lose your mind if you're not prepared. PLEASE think it through. I only say this because if your biggest concern is how the dog looks you may not know what you're getting into.

Ok. off my :soapbox: now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, guys! You've been so helpful! And for those who think I only care about the way my dog would look, that's not true at all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Of course when I first saw a picture of a beagle, I instantly fell in love with this cutie. After that I started reading about the breed and I understood it won't be easy for me and my boyfriend with such a naughty puppy. But I don't care, I will manage, after all, I have two little brothers, guys! :bounce:

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome Vilidobreva! My family has owned beags for over 70 years,(roughly)! But what you have heard is true! Yes, they can be stubborn & hard to train if you are a novice! But they are the perfect size hound if you seek a very interactive pet that is very "transportable", (not too heavy to carry) or just to bathe or groom! The average lifespan for a beag is 13 years, but some have lived for over 20 yrs! If you missed my earlier posts about Goober, he survived the surgical removal of a growth on his tail & he is back to "full agillity" now despite the fact that he is nearly 15 years old! :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. You will love your beagle whatever he she looks like. I know nothing about show breeds but others here do. Good luck.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome, welcome to our group!!

My Daisy looks like the show dog type, although I didn't even know it. I guess I didn't really have a preferance -- all I wanted was a Beagle /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I know Daisy was a hunter, so it's kind of odd that she would look like a show dog /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Please keep us up on what you decide and send us pictures when you get your pup.

Daisy and Monica :wave:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi and welcome to the group. I am new too.

My thought....if you don't want a puppy.

Have you thought of getting one that is full grown so you know what type of nose it will have. There are so many beagles that need rescue. I don't know where you live but if you type in petfinder.com and spec your area you may find an orgainzation that is JUST a rescue for beagles. I got Kylie from Northern California Beagle Rescue.

Just a thought....my Kylie has a long nose. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Renee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, thanks. It's a good idea but the site doesn't work outsite USA. And I'm from Bulgaria. Besides, I've tried the shelters here but we don't have that many and there were no beagles...
As for the long nose, it's funny how everyone pays so much attention to that... I only mentioned it because I wanted to know more about different beagles but you all thought I care so much about the way my dog would look. Well, I don't feel like explaining myself any more. So thanks again for helping me :rotatesmiley2:

·
Registered
889 Posts
The main difference between show and field beagles is you tend to know what the temprement will be like from a show beag as the breed lines will go back decades.

The show beagles in england have their own traits, one kennel the dogs will tend to be a little hyper the next will be more loving etc.

With field beags you tend to get more pack orientated beags, The lines will probably go back alot farther than show beags. Some packs might have added bits of different breeds eg: Foxhound, as their pack might of become a bit on the small side so they introduce a bit of height to ger the pack they need for their needs.

They are bred more for hunting skill rather than looks which is what show beags are bred for.

There are prdigree kennels in Holland and Germany who use British lines you may want to look at those options as well as they are a bit closer to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally... :hyper:
Barking Mad, thank you! That's what I needed to know. The rest I can find on the I-net or by getting lots of books regarding the training, feeding, etc.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Vilidobreva, hope you get the beagle you are after. Please, nobody here is judging you, so please stay with us. You are at least honest by saying which type of beagle you want. ALL beagles are welcome here and please continue to chat with us and exchange experiences. Good luck with your search and we look forward to hearing about your beagle and seeing photos. :heart:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi!

Somebody here on the board has a signature that reads, "beagles are what dogs are supposed to look like".

Ain't it the truth?

Can't wait for Archibald to get to his new home...whatever shaped nose he has! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts