Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannon is now 15 weeks. I'm not sure if he's fully teething yet but he sure likes to bite me. I've tried to correct him by holding his mouth shut and saying no and hitting his nose with a rolled up newspaper but he only get aggressive and gets worst. I don't know if this will matter but he only plays with his toys next to me when I'm around him. He brings his toy and plops next to me and bite it against me.

It's to the point where he follows me to sniff my behind and bites it and my thighs. I yell "ouch" after and he realizes something's wrong but will just continue to sniff and bite. I need help please. Thank you in advance you guys!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You never hit your dog, he will be more aggressive and he will fear you...just say bad with a growly voice and ignore him. Mine did the same but stopped it when finished with teething, he was like six months old. It was so bad before someone asked my son if he was a cage fighter, he was so full of scars:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
the rolled up newspaper wont work.
when he bites you yell "OW". and then turn away and ignore him.
tell him"gentle" then try to cuddle and calm him down. soon he will learn what is too rough. and "gentle" is good command. when mine get too wound up i use gentle and they immediately lie down next to me for belly rubs.also when the neighbors small children come over.
remember that puppies easily lose control and get too rough. those teeth are just too sharp to think they wont occasionally break the skin.but it is just puppy enthusiasm not aggression.once they get their duller adult teeth they will be less painful.
you might also try rolling him on his back and pinning him like another dog might do. not in a mean way, but dont be too gentle either.just enough too remind him who is bigger.when he calms down let him up. make him sit or whatever command you are working on to remind him he does what you say, then all is forgiven.
if he sits down next to you with his toy take it and throw it.
he will either learn to fetch or realize having his toys too close to you is a bad idea.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you hit your dog he may well associate a hand coming towards him as being a threat which could lead to 'fear' biting as he gets older. A stern no seemed to work for me most of the time at the same time I would stop any play, look away and not say anything more. On occasions when this didn't work I would put him in the utility room and leave him on his own for a short while; he soon associated bad behaviour with being ignored and good behaviour with lots of play and attention. They soon grow out of it though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I responded to your post in the other thread - I agree with others there is never a time when it is ok to hit your dog and I am not surprised doing so created a negative reaction.

The only thing hitting him will teach him is that he has a reason to be defensive around you.

What training do you do with him on a day to day basis? have you tried redirecting him to a toy when he bites you to teach him what he can bite?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I too posted on my thread about this but will repeat again. Even though we just began this method it seems to be working well...I tell her no biting after the first time and give her a toy and if she tries again I say no biting and we isolate her for 1-2 minutes. It seems to be working because most of the time when she does try and I say no biting and she will either just close her mouth or just lick. We still have problems when she is very tired but I think she is getting the hang of it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used the firm "no" and walk away technique. I also taught Starla what "kisses" meant from the day we brought her home. She picked up rather quickly that when I said "kisses" that meant "stop biting and kiss-be gentle or I am going to ignore you and retreat the other room." Whatever you do, DON'T just let your dog do it. My boyfriend did that and thought it was a cute little puppy thing and now she's over a year old and you can see a huge difference in how she plays with me verses how she plays with him. We are finally getting her to stop "bite playing" with him by telling her "kisses" (pretty much the same way I taught her to not bite me). She won't bite me at all...even if she's gnawing on my bf and I shove my hand in between, she will immediately stop, give my hand kisses and then move over one and start gnawing on his hand. So it's very important that you squelch this behavior now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I would just like to share my experience with Copper, our beagle. Back when he was still a puppy, he has this habit of nipping and biting. When he does it to me, I yelp and I put on a stern face to let him know that what he was doing was not acceptable. Puppy biting should be addressed at an early age. That should make your dog understand that what it is doing is wrong. :hyper:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts