Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I actually just registered for this site so forgive me if I don't really know how to use it. Here's my situation. I have a lovely female beagle named Sadie who is about nine months old. A few months ago she peed on our couch (while she was sleeping), at first we thought it was because she's a puppy and oh she will get over it. However about two months later she peed in OUR BED (yucky). Again, shes a puppy we thought. We were more diligent in taking her out and limiting her water intake at night. However, she has done it once at my parents house while she was sleeping and this week has done it twice on the couch. Both times she wakes up, looks disoriented and upset, and then finds out shes sleeping in her own puddle of pee! She wakes up and looks so upset, her ears are down, her head is down, and those droopy eyes just say oh my goodness what did i do?! I don't know what to do myself. I'm going to be bringing her to the vet tomorrow and hopefully they can figure something out. I hope it isn't anything I am doing which is causing this behavior. This is my first dog and I feel as if I am failing as a parent! She was spayed at six and a half months old and from what I remember this problem started after her spaying. Just to be sure I collected a specimen for them in the morning to make sure it isn't a bladder infection.

Does anybody else have or ever had this problem?
Is it something I'm doing wrong?
I feel so frustrated, I love my baby to death, but I don't know what else to do.

Suggestions please =(

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I'm glad you posted this, as I posted a while back about the same problem I'm having with my 15 month old Maggie. Someone posted about a medication you can give them to help them stop peeing in their sleep, but I didn't write it down, and I can't find the post. Hopefully that person will respond again. Maggie seems to pee in her sleep at least once every week or two, and she's been checked for bladder infection, which was negative.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It sounds like it could be spay incontinence. It isn't anything you or Sadie are doing wrong. I know there is a medication and it has been discussed on this forum previously, but like Gale I can't remember who posted the information.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Gale...I think the medication is called Proin.

ajodray...you may want to read this website. It is very possible that a weakening of the muscles occurred during her spay surgery and this site can give you some great tips to speak with the vet about. Good luck to you and welcome to the site. Feel free to ask all the questions you want. We are usually pretty helpful around here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4509875_help-dog-sleep-incontinence.html

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Usually this happens after a spay, and I see you noted it started after her spay. Donna explained it well, and the website she posted should explain it. I would check with the vet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Li'l Girl has this problem. I've been giving her a small dosage of Phenylpropalamine for years. There's been no ill effects, and it completely stopped the sleep peeing. Li'l Girl was started on 25 mg. Phenylpropalamine administered at 1/2 tablet morning and evening. I've been able to decrease that to 12.5 mg. per day with 1/2 given in the morning and the other 1/2 given in the evening.

I hope is of help to you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maggie was on Pro-In for years and then I read about a natural alternative, Leaks No More. I gave my vet some literature to read about it and he said it was definitely worth a try. We weaned her off the Pro-In while simultaneously adding in the Leaks No More. It worked even better than the Pro-In and eventually she did not need it at all. I was able to purchase it locally but then found an on-line source that was much less expensive.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has this same problem as well. We give her a small dose of Phenylepropanolamine (PPA) twice a day and have no problems. Your story is almost identical to ours. There's nothing that you're doing wrong, it's just one of those things that happens sometimes and is not that uncommon. Talk to your vet about it. We use the Proin brand of PPA and it only costs about $17 for a 2 month supply.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh, poor little baby. She must be so upset and ashamed when it happens. What a good mommy you are to seek advice for her to help her. Looks like you got some great answers and I have nothing to add except welcome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everybody for your suggestions and concerns! I took her to the vet today and he ruled out a UTI/bladder infection. He said it could be due to urinary incontinence and she was put on Proin for 2 months, 1/2 a tablet, twice daily! =)

I'm so glad I brought her and hopefully this will solve our pee-problem!

Thanks a bunch everybody!

- Ashley & Sadie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I just joined this site now as my 4 year old beagle just peed on me in her sleep. She has done this once before but to my husband so all I remember about it is laughing a lot! I do think she was ill that day though, and she was ill earlier today and vomited up her breakfast - now with the peeing too, should I be concerned? She's been ok in herself today, if a little quiet.

It doesn't seem to be a regular problem so I don't think she needs the drugs you've mentioned but with the vomiting too I'm worried about her.

Thanks

Leia's mom

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hi there, maybe she got into something that she shouldn't have? I would keep a close eye on her and her behavior. If she continues to vomit and pee I would definately consult the vet. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there

Just a quick note to say thanks to RosCole for the reply. L hasnt peed on me again so hopefully it was a one-off. She certainly seems much better in herself and even reached a new high shelf this week, so back to normal beagle behaviour!

Leia's mom x

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Glad to hear she is better!
They get into the darndest stuff sometimes, we woke up to the sound of Roscoe vomitting last night around midnight! He is ok this morning and ate his treats. No matter how careful you are they will find something!! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
hi our Meggie sometimes does that, but we found her her bladder is not quite in the right position so by rights she should be incontinent but she isnt, thankfully, it just happens that if her bladder is really full to the top, sometimes it just gives way. sometimes when they are payed it can make a problem worse, sometimes not. good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts